Making the Lasdhir: Adventures in Stitchery

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Making the Lasdhir: Adventures in Stitchery

Post by Elleth »

Thank you gentlemen! I can't wait to see what variations on the theme y'all come up with. :mrgreen:
Greg wrote:Mind if I add this to the patterns section of the wiki when I have some time?
Absolutely! Just let me know if you need anything else from me for the write-up.
Greg wrote:I'm also insanely curious about what appears to be a Kyrtle of sorts that we're getting a glimpse of in the first post. Details/info?
Good eye! Yes, it's a kyrtle I made when I was active in a 14th c. group a few years back. Honestly, I'm not that fond of it. The overall silhouette is nice, but I'm not partial to the (authentic / group standard) sleeves and neckline. At some point I'll make a new better one. :)
Mirimaran wrote:But it's the MERF :) it's what we do :)
Ha!

How about I promise to elaborate more in the "Dunedain fashion" thread sometime soon? :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:At some point I'll make a new better one. :)

How about I promise to elaborate more in the "Dunedain fashion" thread sometime soon? :)
That'll work. Patterns, please. :)
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Brilliant tutorial! I think we should all have a beltpouch (of some kind or other) and if someone doesn't think their handsewing skills are up to it, this is a perfect project to build confidence! Well done! : D
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg

Post by Greg »

The Lasdhir is officially at home, permanently, on THE WIKI.

Frontpage>Kit Section>Soft Kit>Pouches>The Lasdhir

Enjoy! Great work, again, Elleth. I'm starting my own tomorrow.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

My apologies for not responding to this sooner - I really wanted make the effort to thoroughly read through your entire write-up and absorb all of the wonderful information therein - and I've only just found the time to do so. THIS IS WONDERFUL! I absolutely LOVE the ideas that went into developing this project, and the detailed step-by-step instructions are absolutely fantastic for anyone who wants to try out hand-stitching for the first time! What's more, it brings to mind many different ideas for potentially modifying and customizing the design, if one so chooses. It's wonderful to see exactly what went into the pouch I received for our Yuletide gift exchange, and I will cherish it even more now, knowing just how it was made!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Is anyone out there attempting this build? I keep getting stuck on the facing, have done it twice and I can't get it to come out like the picture. Elleth, perhaps a youtube of the build? This is my first kit build in a couple of years, so getting back into it slowly, but still, a bit frustrating.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm working on it, but haven't gotten that far. I have 'childrens'. *chuckle*
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Mirimaran - can you post a picture of what you've got? I could probably tell from that what the next step is. : )
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Elleth at this point I want to start over, I think. Good practice at least for sewing, I will post pics when I reach the dreaded step again. :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

I like the idea a lot now I have another project to add to my list of things to make! :P
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Well, finally got this done lol the beading took longer than I thought, but it came out pretty good. The leather came from a scrap bag. I love how it looks weathered and cracked (and possibly orc :P) the pouch itself is a nubby cotton which is lined in a fine cotton from a handkerchief and then waxed. My spacing was a little off on the lasdhir so I thought to bead. In every other stitch I put two amber beads, and then when it was done around, I strung black and pearl beads as uniform as I could between them. I will probably put a cone on the strings. Then, I did a 3 bead edging, which turned out well, for me lol Alot of fun, thanks to Elleth for the tutorial!

Greg

Post by Greg »

That is lovely, Ken! My fingers are sore just looking at all those beads...
Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Le-Loup »

1750 Mohawk Split Pouch.
My 18th century Market Wallet made of linen. Same design.
Market Wallets came/come in a variety of sizes.
Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that's fantastic! I love it Mirimaran! Gosh that beading must have taken forever.

Le-loup - you're absolutely right, my initial project was totally inspired by North American native slit pouches and isn't canon ... but with another year's reading under my belt, I'm thinking a Dunlendish origin might be plausible.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Thanks everyone! Yep, I do love beading, just started learning really. It was alot of fun but can be very tedious. Those are czech glass beads and got a tutorial off of youtube, and looked at various tutorials online. I wonder if such a pouch would have been a gift, or traded for, or beaded during long winter nights. A very fun project and looking forward to another one for winter!