Beorning Honey Cakes

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Beorning Honey Cakes

Post by Eofor »

So I have recently been doing a bit of baking and experimenting with honey and I have come up with what I think is a fairly solid representation of the Beorning honey cake.
I have kept it as simple as possible and where possible tried to keep to period ingredients although there are some I have used for ease do have historical alternatives and I will discuss these at the end but what i present here is the most rounded version of the recipe to date.
Taste and texture wise they are something akin to a honey banana bread, they will keep fresh for up to 3 days (by which time they are all eaten) and one is enough to keep me going from 5am until 3pm while performing moderate intensity work.
The smaller loaf cakes I have been making seem quite resilient to damage as well, I’ve been bouncing them around with zero breakage so far. They are also dairy and gluten free.

Honey cakes with strawberries, honeycomb and greek yoghurt

Makes 1 large or 4 small cakes
The wet ingredients
4 eggs
½ cup honey
1tsp vanilla essence
2tbsp olive oil

The dry ingredients
2 cups Hazelnut meal
2.5tbsp plain flour
1tsp baking powder

The method
Preheat oven to 160c/320f
Whisk together all wet ingredients until well mixed, then add all dry ingredients and continue whisking until mixed.
Pour batter into a greased and lined cake tin (It is a wet batter so will likely stick)
Bake for 25 minutes or until a knife/skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean

And that’s it, it’s a really simple recipe.

As to those ingredients Baking powder could be easily substituted for buttermilk or molasses or another raising agent.
The vanilla essence is just a taste thing and it too could simply be swapped out for more honey.
The olive oil could be changed for any sort of oil you prefer.
I used coconut flour but again that's just preference.
Almond meal is an option in place of the hazelnut but makes a moister crumb, great for home eating but less so for the trail.

Macro nutrients per small cake/quarter of large cake
Calories 567
Protein - 15g
Carbohydrates - 38g
Fiber - 7g
Sugars - 34g
Fat - 39g

The beaten wet ingredients

The finished batter

Tinned

Baked

An almond meal version of the cake... so golden!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Beorning Honey Cakes

Post by Iodo »

that looks so nice :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Asbjorn
Dúnadan

Post by Asbjorn »

Sounds alot like sponge cake. Looks good i would make it myself to try out but im alergic to nuts.
"Few now remember them... yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless." Tom Bombadil on Rangers
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Nice.... thanks for sharing! I can typically burn water as a cook, but I'm going to give these a try. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh wow! That looks absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing! I may just have to try it for myself!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Well, I definitely know what I am making this weekend! Thanks for the recipe Eofor!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote:Well, I definitely know what I am making this weekend!
If you like a sweet cake, a good healthy drizzle of honey on top before it hits the oven is also an option.

I've been adding this to mine as it gives it more of a honey kick than the base recipe.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Eofor wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:31 pm I used coconut flour but again that's just preference.
Eofor, was this to replace the plain flour? Can this be substituted for any sort of flour (thinking gluten free)?
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

If you reduce the eggs by 1/2 and add another 4 tablespoons of honey and lay off the baking powder, you'll get a more condensed and slightly sweeter version. Instead of a cake, you'll get more of a cookie which takes up a lot less volume in your pack.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Barandir wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:12 pm Eofor, was this to replace the plain flour? Can this be substituted for any sort of flour (thinking gluten free)?
Plain GF will work fine, I am a coeliac so when I say any type of flour you can be sure it works with gluten free!
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Awesome Eofor, thank you! My little sister is gluten intolerant so these should be a great treat!

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

You and your sister are most welcome Barandir, I'm actually a baker and have been GF for 35 or so years now and have a wealth of recipes tricks and hints if ever you need something.

If you're making them for home and aren't aiming for accurate ingredients I would absolutely trade the hazelnut meal for almond meal.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Thank you so much, I would love some more baking recipes, especially more gluten free ones! I work in fine dining so my cooking skills have vastly expanded over the last couple of years but I still have very little experience baking.

Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Thanks. I'm going to try this recipe. Maybe wash it down with some mead that I made.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I have no picture-proof but I can say that Eofor's recipe is both easy and delicious. I made it some time ago for my gaming group and they all loved it! Per Eofor's recommendation, I added a healthy scoop of plain yoghurt into the wet mix which definitely added to it. I have some left-over hazelnut meal that I really need to use so I may make some more soon.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain