Pot hanging chain length?

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Pot hanging chain length?

Post by Taurinor »

Iodo wrote:it's making me wonder why in all the bush-craft videos I've watched/books I've read etc... everyone uses a chain/stick with notches in to hang the pot above the fire when you can just put the pot on the heat instead, there must be some advantage?
Elleth wrote:Time would be my guess. For nestling the pot, you tend to want to wait for coals, which can take a while. With a hanging pot, you can cook in the flames right away.
Elleth's point seems a reasonable explanation, and is likely one reason, but I'd guess that another is that it's fun to make things and show them off. A lot of the bushcraft YouTubers that I follow take the "craft" part literally and just really enjoy making stuff in the woods, even if sometimes those are just for fun or convenience (and say as much). Cooking set-ups are one of the more popular things to make, probably because there's lots of ways to tinker with them and although kits can vary significantly, most everyone will carry some sort of cookpot.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Pot hanging chain length?

Post by Iodo »

thanks, I hadn't thought of that, but it does seem like a logical thing to make for someone who just wants to make stuff, I've made countless thing that are unnecessary just because I like making things, maybe a dwarf would be of that mind set? - if she were traveling with other people
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.