Dúnedain etymology

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Dúnedain etymology

Post by Kortoso »

I was looking at the list of Tolkien copyrights here:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Middle-e ... Copyrights
But I noticed that the word "Dúnedain" was missing. That stirred my curiosity. What's the "true" etymology?

Seems that Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, is referred to as "Dùn Èideann" by the Scots Gaelic speakers. Interesting.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Dúnedain etymology

Post by Elleth »

Hunh - that is a curious coincidence. It's possible the sound of the word struck the Professor pleasantly, to be sure.
I mean, it's no "cellar door" but it is a quite euphonic word. :)

.. unless that is he came up with the word for "West" first, in which case "Men of the West" is simple application of his own grammar.
I'm not enough of a Tolkien scholar to know which words entered his languages when.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

It has a nice "woody" sound to it, that's for sure. :D

I'm more of a REH scholar, though Howard was no linguist. Perhaps I am mistaken to assume such borrowings from the Professor.

On the other hand, the promontory that Edinburgh stands upon is called "Castle Rock", not too far from George RR Martin's Casterly Rock.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Anyway, my original point was that words in the legendarium that are similar or identical to historical names, cannot be copyrighted.