King Elessar's Court

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elendur Amloth
Wanderer

King Elessar's Court

Post by Elendur Amloth »

What are your ideas on where King Elessar held court? Do you think he would use Minas Tirith until Annuminas was rebuilt or set up a temporary establishment near the ruins?
'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace. Minas Anor as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens, not a mistress of many slaves.'
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: King Elessar's Court

Post by Elwindil »

I believe Minas Tirith would be used as it's a more secure place and can be defended easier than say, an encampment in the ruins or near the ruins could. it makes sense strategically, since we know that orcs, goblins and uruk hai are still an issue, plus all the southrons that might still be around as well, since I doubt all of them were killed.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Well, we know he "rode north to an encampment" in the 15th year of the Fourth Age:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Timeline/Fourth_Age

That certainly implies he held court in Minas Tirith prior to that point.

Given that upon Aragorn's death, the place that Arwen leaves is Minas Tirith:
Then she said farewell to Eldarion, and to her daughters, and to all whom she had loved; and she went out from the city of Minas Tirith and passed away to the land of Lórien, and dwelt there alone under the fading trees until winter came.
... I think it's safe to say that the royal court of the Reunited Kingdoms remained in Minas Tirith throughout Aragorn's reign.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elendur Amloth
Wanderer

Post by Elendur Amloth »

Great information guys. Thanks!
'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace. Minas Anor as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens, not a mistress of many slaves.'
Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

Elleth wrote:Well, we know he "rode north to an encampment" in the 15th year of the Fourth Age:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Timeline/Fourth_Age

That certainly implies he held court in Minas Tirith prior to that point.

Given that upon Aragorn's death, the place that Arwen leaves is Minas Tirith:
Then she said farewell to Eldarion, and to her daughters, and to all whom she had loved; and she went out from the city of Minas Tirith and passed away to the land of Lórien, and dwelt there alone under the fading trees until winter came.
... I think it's safe to say that the royal court of the Reunited Kingdoms remained in Minas Tirith throughout Aragorn's reign.

Aragorn 're-founded' the City of Annuminas as a (not 'the') seat of Kings, and I think Aragorn and Arwen only resided there for maybe thirty years. it was when Samwise and Rosie's daughter Elanor came to serve as a Maid of Honor to the Lady Arwen. It's in the Appendices I believe.
Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I had not remembered the stay there was so long! I'd only remembered the "encampment." Now I need to go back and re-read it.

How odd it must have been: part "boom-town" atmosphere I'd expect, but more digging out ancient rubble than virgin construction.
I'm having visions of those buildings you hear about in Britain made with salvaged and repurposed Roman-cut stone. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.