Leather 6"x24" or equivelant

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Leather 6"x24" or equivelant

Post by Daerir »

Alright, the leather has arrived! I have it folded over the knife and taped so it gets used to the shape.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

There are a few ways of prepairing the leather to take the shape of the sheath. I am not sure if you dry folded it and what type of "tape' you may have used, but depending on how you are going to finnish the leather and how tightly you want the leather to conture to the form of the knife, you may want to wet the leather and wrap it around the protected blade with strips of cloth (like an old sheet torn in strips) this is a bit more gentle on the surface of the leather and should not leave perminent marks or adheasive that can mess up your leather finnish. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Ringulf wrote:There are a few ways of prepairing the leather to take the shape of the sheath. I am not sure if you dry folded it and what type of "tape' you may have used, but depending on how you are going to finnish the leather and how tightly you want the leather to conture to the form of the knife, you may want to wet the leather and wrap it around the protected blade with strips of cloth (like an old sheet torn in strips) this is a bit more gentle on the surface of the leather and should not leave perminent marks or adheasive that can mess up your leather finnish. :mrgreen:

Well i just taped the inside edge together with masking tape but it pulled apart anyway lol. I did wet bend it so its in half and I just have a few books sitting on it for the time being.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Here's my current progress... tbat square is what I'll need for belt loops.

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Looking good !
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK, with what you have there, you can sew top and bottom of the belt loop square to the sheath giving you an "on the belt" horizontal wide loop that can be used in either direction. you can also mount it on top of the sheath, blade up or down your preference, and it would be a thick hanger loop that would also be able to mount both ways. Finally you could cut the large loops into smaller loops and spread them out. then you can do all the things descibed above also but with more and thinner loop/hangers. :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Ringulf wrote:OK, with what you have there, you can sew top and bottom of the belt loop square to the sheath giving you an "on the belt" horizontal wide loop that can be used in either direction. you can also mount it on top of the sheath, blade up or down your preference, and it would be a thick hanger loop that would also be able to mount both ways. Finally you could cut the large loops into smaller loops and spread them out. then you can do all the things descibed above also but with more and thinner loop/hangers. :mrgreen:
I'm a little confused on what you mean lol
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK let me try it again. you have a large band of leather that looks as if it will go around your sheath. If you make it go around the sheath at a good balance point (most likeley near the throat) and sew it into the same holes you are using to stitch the sheath, you will have a leather band that goes all the way around the sheath and the belt can then be slipped through either side so the hilt can point to the left or the right.

That would be the "On Belt" method, the under belt or "Hanging method" has you stitch the loop square to the holes of the stitching that you are using to stitch the sheath but it does not encircle the sheath forming a tab that the belt alone goes through and lets the sheath hang below the belt.
This method also allows you to face the hilt in eather direction.
Now if you can see what I mean by that you will realize that the last suggestion was to do the same thing, but cut the large square leather hanger into several thinner ones and seperate them along the stiching to make multiple hanging points. (a fairly traditional mounting system.)

Now these all suggest that you are carrying the sheath in a horizantal fashion, if you wish the sheath held vertically or diagonally then using the hanger at the throat sewn to the back edge at whatever angel you choose will also work but will reduce your options as to which way the hilt and blade edge can mount.

If this is still difficult to envision I will collect some pictures of the designs I have used before.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I understand your meaning now. I want it hanging from the belt from a couple loops. Is 1 inch wide enough for them or should I go bigger? I also want a slight angle on it, point down ever so slightly.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

1 inch should be fine but you will have to shorten the throat strap since you can't legnthen the chape strap with what you have there you seem to have at least enough to make three straps from the looks of the pictur in which case you could shrten the 1st and second sequentially to give the angle you desire.

(Just for clarification, but I am sure you already know, the chape is the metal peice that protects the tip of a sheath and a locket is the part that goes at the throat sitting next to the crossguard. Hangers have another name but are most often metal bands that go around the sheath or a scabbard to make hard points for the connections to the belt)