White Wool

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Ernildir
Haeropada

White Wool

Post by Ernildir »

Hello Rangers,

I know I haven't been active on the forums for some time, but I'm still lurking around.

I am planning to make a white wool semi-elven winter coat. I am also confronted with prices of $20-25 per yard for the material haha...

Does anyone know any tricks to finding less expensive wool?

Thank you.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: White Wool

Post by wulfgar »

https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/c52_ ... ol-fabrics

Unfortunately they are out of plain white right now, but this is where I get most of my wool.
You can't take the sky from me.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Hey! He does exist! Good to see you!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I don't know if this is white enough for you, but on this page about halfway down is a medium weight "bone-colored" wool for $10 a yard, but you have to buy 3 yards. It also might not be heavy enough, but you could potentially full it in the washer/dryer and use the wool for both the outside and the lining.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Taurinor wrote:I don't know if this is white enough for you, but on this page about halfway down is a medium weight "bone-colored" wool for $10 a yard, but you have to buy 3 yards. It also might not be heavy enough, but you could potentially full it in the washer/dryer and use the wool for both the outside and the lining.
Just make sure you e-,ail them and confirm that they have it first. They are great people to work with but their website isn't always up to date. If they don't have it they will usually send you free samples of what they have in similar fabrics. I have done business with them a couple of times and am very satisfied.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Could you get a grey military blanket and bleach the hell out of it?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Kortoso wrote:Could you get a grey military blanket and bleach the hell out of it?
There are white military blankets out there too.
https://shop.vtarmynavy.com/czech-white ... 15699.aspx
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I have several thick, white wool blankets of a WW2 vintage from the USNavy. They can be cheap as heck for example. Except for the stamp or letters in the center you could easily get big, coat-worthy pieces for tailoring.

Matt at Hamilton Dry Goods ^ is a good guy. Definitely recommended. I bought some of that very 'bone' wool for an Anduin tunic; it's really quite lightweight (I use it for my summer tunic). You might be able to full, felt, or otherwise heat-shrink it, or maybe use two layers.

You might also check out Matt Amt's site, which has a good listing of fabric suppliers for reenacting purposes.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Greg wrote:Hey! He does exist! Good to see you!
Good to see you too! I've been enjoying seeing posts about your two little rangerlings popping up on facebook from you/Lori haha...

Thank you for the advice everyone! I'll be keeping an eye out for white military blankets and fashionfabricsclub restocks. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.