Any tanners around?

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Any tanners around?

Post by Elleth »

I've got three goat hides from some goats we slaughtered last fall... and after the last year of unending chores on the farm, I'm coming to the reluctant conclusion I'm just not going to have the time to tan them myself. They've been dried and scraped - but that's it.

Anyone do traditional (maybe bark?) tanning that's willing to do the chore in exchange for keeping some of the leather?
Or if you prefer, perhaps some coin of the realm?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Any tanners around?

Post by Udwin »

I've finally got my braintan method down pat (the trick apparently is to dress them, wait a year (dried), and then soften & smoke!), but bark tanning is on my shortlist of Things To Learn. Goat is so thin (this week I'm converting a whole goat rawhide into lashings for an Otzi-type adze) I'd be scared to braintan it, but if it worked I bet it would make super buckskin. Hmmm...
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

If you're interested, I'm not dead set on bark tanned - just some traditional means that gives me something useful to make a couple bags and maybe a waterskin out of. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

PM sent!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA