Who needs a new bowstring?

Are you a craftsman, or setting setting up shop? Tell us about what you do, or offer.

Moderator: Eric C

Udwin
Vendor

Who needs a new bowstring?

Post by Udwin »

While rummaging about in the attic I found two giant spools of brown and blue linen cord. Eight or ten lengths of this stuff reverse-ply'd together and waxed make an excellent (and period!) bowstring. The spools are more than I'd ever use in a lifetime (two lifetimes, even), so I would like to share the wealth with you folks.
If anyone has ever thought about replacing their modern bowstring, or maybe just could use an extra, let me know and we'll see if we can't work something out.
Attachments
LinenBowstring.JPG
LinenBowstring.JPG (203.87 KiB) Viewed 11558 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Who needs a new bowstring?

Post by RikJohnson »

I'm game.
I tend to buy my strings because every atempt of myself to make one has failed.

I have the dacron, made various designs of jigs but can never get the tension right as every strand ends up a differnt length<g>

I have three main bows. Longbow, carriage bow and short bow, all at 45#.
so what do you wish for some linin strings?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Who needs a new bowstring?

Post by RikJohnson »

I found a couple spools of linen?flax thread at a thrift store and bought them instantly...

....unfortunatly, they have zero strength and break so easily I cannot ever sew with them.

so either I have some bad thread or you have some really good thread.

I also found a box of knitting yarn at a yard sale for $5 and gave it to my daughter.
She informed me that each spool was worth $30 and I had given her hundreds of dollars of cashmire yarn.

the finds are out there, if you are observant.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.