Sindarin

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Sindarin

Post by Greg »

Ernildhir wrote:You should definitely teach it to your kids and use it daily around the house. :mrgreen:
That'd be 100x easier if it wasn't a dead language. Being dead isn't the issue. The fact that no one knows how the words were pronounced back when it was in use is the issue. It's all guesswork, so staying consistent is a problem.

How do I know this? My wife's a Theology student. Koine Greek = Household term. She walks around babbling nonsense with a textbook in her hand all the time! *ducks flying textbook!*
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ernildhir wrote:Hey Eric, I just realized that we both joined MERF at 7:02 PM. And we're both named Eric. Is it just me, or do people named Eric tend to join MERF at 7:02 PM? :shock:

That's 'cus we're the awesome ones! :mrgreen:
Greg wrote:
Ernildhir wrote:How do I know this? My wife's a Theology student. Koine Greek = Household term. She walks around babbling nonsense with a textbook in her hand all the time! *ducks flying textbook!*
Greg, Greg, Greg! (sigh) You're still a newlywed, so I'll give you a piece of advice. Don't say things about the wife when she has hard objects like textbooks or sharp pointy objects in hand! :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Greg wrote:
Ernildhir wrote:You should definitely teach it to your kids and use it daily around the house. :mrgreen:
That'd be 100x easier if it wasn't a dead language. Being dead isn't the issue. The fact that no one knows how the words were pronounced back when it was in use is the issue. It's all guesswork, so staying consistent is a problem.

How do I know this? My wife's a Theology student. Koine Greek = Household term. She walks around babbling nonsense with a textbook in her hand all the time! *ducks flying textbook!*
Ah, how unfortunate. What a shame that languages must die.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dailir »

Ernildhir wrote:Ah, how unfortunate. What a shame that languages must die.
But think how unfortunate we'd end up if we had to learn 3 just to talk in our own neighborhood! Why teach the kids NT greek when you could teach them Sindarin? If I was a small child I'd walk around saying it all the time and if anyone asked I'd tell them I was speaking elvish. Just imagine the look a kid would get if he was speaking elven!
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I would love to learn sindarin.... someone needs to come out with a cd to learn it while driving. and a few workbooks I can carry in my van.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Willrett wrote:I would love to learn sindarin.... someone needs to come out with a cd to learn it while driving. and a few workbooks I can carry in my van.
You heard the man, Ernildihir! Sounds like you need to corner the market right here and make your millions!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Greg wrote:You heard the man, Ernildihir! Sounds like you need to corner the market right here and make your millions!
:lol: I could use them too! Currently I'm using pdf's on my laptop so I'm limited to only reading them sometimes.
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Good idea. Maybe I'll get around to that some time after I'm out of college. :p
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Dailir wrote:But think how unfortunate we'd end up if we had to learn 3 just to talk in our own neighborhood! Why teach the kids NT greek when you could teach them Sindarin? If I was a small child I'd walk around saying it all the time and if anyone asked I'd tell them I was speaking elvish. Just imagine the look a kid would get if he was speaking elven!

Because NT Greek has far more academic and Theological importance. :wink:
Ah, but there's a line that takes us into a forbidden area as far as the boards are concerned.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Ah, good point. Thats where I give up trying to get your kids to be bilingual with Sindarin. Instead I'll make them trilingual! NT Greek, English, and Sindarin! :)
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Dailir wrote:Ah, good point. Thats where I give up trying to get your kids to be bilingual with Sindarin. Instead I'll make them trilingual! NT Greek, English, and Sindarin! :)
THAT will work!!! 8)
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

if we had to learn 3 just to talk in our own neighborhood!
Dude, here we have to! :lol:

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Haha Nice. That is the thing with some places in the US. So many immigrants its hard to keep up.