Faramir's Sword (New Line/WETA)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Faramir's Sword (New Line/WETA)

Post by Greg »

I love Faramir's sword. Absolutely love it. Of all of the blades in the films, it stands out to me as one that I'd love to have my own interpretation of made custom.

...I just can't get past trying to figure out just what exactly the blade is.

In pictures of the hilt, I see what appears to be a single fuller. No big deal.

...but in pictures of the tip, the light messes with my eyes, and it looks like it has a double-fuller, is hollow-ground, or otherwise is shaped...differently.

The best view of the blade tip I've seen is in The Two Towers, at the window to the west, where Faramir holds his blade point on Frodo's chest...the whole "Here in the wild I have you...the ring of power within my grasp..." etc. line.

Can anybody help me shed some light on this? When the time comes and I go to a bladesmith for some custom work, I'd like to actually know what I want, lol.

Cheers!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Faramir's Sword (New Line/WETA)

Post by Cleddyf »

i was talking to a friend of my dads a while ago, who works at weta, apparently they used skateboard wheel rubber for some parts of the swords, there might be something on the website of the guy who made the swords
http://www.swords.co.nz/
or maybe in the book
The lord of the rings : weapons and warfare : an illustrated guide to the battles, armies and armour of Middle-Earth
http://tinyurl.com/3kply7h
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I understood that they used the rubber as a cushion to keep the swords in good structural shape through all of the fighting. It was used in the tang area to act as a shock absorber. I could be wrong about that, I heard it about 7 years ago while I was recovering from surgery and had nothing to do but lay on the couch and watch ALL of the DVD features.

As for the blade, it looks to me like a single fuller and a hollow ground blade that runs out near the end of the fuller. That's just how it looks to me, for what it's worth.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Both pics, look like a double fuller to me.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I agree. Looks a lot like a late Roman/Dark Age type of double fuller blade in a number of respects.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Whoa, that lighting is rough. It almost looks like a triple fuller at first, but then the tip would have to be almost completely hollow ground. Based on the following pictures, though, my guess is that its actually just a single fuller sword. Something akin to an Oakeshott XVII. A super high polish is likely the cause for the weird lighting in the photos.

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Darksword Armory's replica is a single-fuller, but it just doesn't look the same to me. Maybe I'm just losing it...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

The latest pic stills looks like a double fuller to me.
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Here we go, these pics are a bit better. Slightly hollow-ground on either side of the fuller?

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Much better view and yes single fuller.
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Snagged the pics from here: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hum ... Ranger.htm

Some good views of the cross and pommel, might be a good reference for the project.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

You can never go wrong with Cat's site, she's a great person!

I have the Weapons and Warfare book and it looks like a deep single fuller in the pic provided.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"