gen 2 henry v

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

gen 2 henry v

Post by dwayne davis »

Hey just to let any one know, i had recently gotten a gen 2 henry v sword. well i decided to redo the round grip and make it a square or oval cross section. i removed the grip to discover that the tang while wide and thick only went about 4 inches of the 4 3/4 grip. it then became a welded on bolt that was ground flat on the sides!!!!! needless to say i am dissapointed :evil: i expect better of gen2!!! i can fix but still, be warned if you look at any thing by gen2, as for me im goin back to de tin.. just wanted to share incase any one is looking at them.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: gen 2 henry v

Post by Peter Remling »

Shouldn't be an issue. You said it's welded and 4" after the guard. The amount of torque that far from the guard is minimal and Gen 2 has a good rep. I wouldn't worry about it, many reputable companies use a welded on screw . Even Del Tin has used a welded on bolt on some of their swords.

How's the rest of the sword, fit and polish, cutting ability and overall appearance?
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

probably not, but if the grip is not attached to the blade the pommle spins freely. but youre right, gen2 is pretty tough. well have to see how she holds up. thought i would share it though, i just wish i had thought to take pics to post. ok finish was ok there are or were grind lines where it is hollow ground. cutting ability is outstanding. and its so quick it's a little scary. i will say this when i had taken the grip off the guard did not move at all!!! thats somthing you usually only see on albions and the like, it wasn't glued either. the grip material is oak, very nice, balance point is about two and a half inches from guard, point of percussion is five inches from the very tip. the scabbard is pretty good all in all. apart from the tang issue, a good sword for the money.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That POB sounds very nice. I bet she handles like a dream.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

oh yes it does. like i said it's scary quick. :D
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

well sadly i must report that the gen 2 henry v is no more. after a botched cut the blade bent soo badly that even after being straightend it easaly bent again. but i look on it as a learning experience, besides. it really didnt fitt the time frame tolkien had in mind any way. ( though it was nice.) soo as soon a s funds allow im looking at a tinker/hanwie norman from KOA best of all is they are relativly cheap ( under 200) . a ranger with out a sword is just a breelander lol :P
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I've handled the Norman and really like this sword! These are very good blades.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Any way you can grind the blade into a dagger or shorter sword ? A shame to waste all that hardware and remains of the blade.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Hey pete actually i thought about a spear head maybe, im working on kit rite now any way. and RD thanks for youre opinion on the norman, im actually gonna pick one up and redo the hilt and perhaps upgrade the scabbard, a project sword if you will. :)