First time in the woods this year.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett

First time in the woods this year.

Post by Willrett »

I got out in the woods today for a few hours. Well some of my family and a friend went shooting (me and littlest bro with bows) today. After some much needed practice I decided to walk around looking for some non broken clay birds for the gunners. After that myself and Dakota (8yr bro) went walking thru the woods. The place we went (Cumberland Outdoor Club) had a couple of 3d targets set up so I got a few shots in from different angles and thru brush. We got to walk for about an hour with me showing him how to walk and not sound like an army. We scouted and found some deer sign. It was a pretty great day but it could have been longer.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Any day in the woods is a good day. Any day in the woods with a bow in your hand is a great day. Any day in the woods where you show the next generation how to enjoy nature is a spectacular day.

Great to hear about your outing.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Just makes me that much more anticipatory of my own first day in the woods for the year. Sounds like an excellent time. :)

Siani
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

With all this talk of outings, I took a trip up to one of the three State Parks within 15 miles, this morning. Bear in mind we just (yesterday) had a snowstorm that dropped up to 14" in the area and it was quite cold. I waited for my youngest to be picked up by her bus and then made the 20 minute trek to the park. This one Fahnstock, is farest away and the least visited of the three aforementioned parks.

By the time I got there it was a sweltering 8 degrees with a mild breeze. I took a few shots but didn't get very far into the woods as the snow was a foot deep and my hikers wern't.

Most of the shots were taken with an old 35mm and as I didn't complete a roll I decided not to process the pics until I complete it. I did take some digitals of a frozen over snow covered lake and I'll see if I can add them later today.

The other two Parks are much more widely trafficed and cater to the more urban crowd. Bear Moutain State Park has a famous Inn, a zoo(native species), several building/museums covering a wide body of topics from Local History (the colonial period, the French and Indian War, the Revolution) and to Biology and Botany, a fishing/boating lake and marked and unmarked trails. If you're in the area it is well worth seeing just for the views of the Hudson River even if it offered nothing else.

The last and closest State Park was originally called Mohansic State Park. About 15 years ago, the name was changed to Franklin Delano Roosevelt State Park and then 2 years ago parts of it were renamed Donald J. Trump State Park (you can't make this stuff up). Apparently if I contribute enough money in two years they'll be putting up new signs for the Pete's Ass State Park.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Ah! We have a digital camera I can use, and a pretty good one too! I'll have to nab some pics on the first outing.

I find it neat that the Connecticut River, in the original language, meant the Long River...which in Elvish is ....Anduin. Rather nifty that. LOL

Yes, cabin fever is affecting me. *twitch*

Siani
Nandalad!
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Apparently if I contribute enough money in two years they'll be putting up new signs for the Pete's Ass State Park.
Cool Pete! That's about the most original park name I've ever seen. When do we start the fund raising drive?
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

mcapanelli wrote:
Apparently if I contribute enough money in two years they'll be putting up new signs for the Pete's Ass State Park.
Cool Pete! That's about the most original park name I've ever seen. When do we start the fund raising drive?
Mike, You already have the address from the time I started the collection for makeing Capt. Crunch a Admiral (thanks again for your contribution).

For the rest of you just make out the checks for Conservatory for Accurate State Handles (C.A.S.H.) place it in an envelope and mail it to me.

We thank you for your support!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Well, I got into the woods a little today for the first time. Went on a long walk around town and detoured up into the Pocumtuck Hills where the town park is, if you can call it a park. It isn't plowed in Winter being closed to all but foot traffic...which means deserted in Winter.

Went in there and found a profusion of wildlife tracks and trails; fisher, bobcat, whitetail, dogs and the usual small critters among others.

That was a delightful plus. Not the Wilderness but it will do for the moment.

Siani
Nandalad!