Hunting

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Hunting

Post by Mirimaran »

Maybe this might help some, great conversation btw!

"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have that book. It is a good book for the period it covers, but given the subject it is a light treatment at best.

Note the cloth bag with the disc midway down and the arrow through it. That can work for field tips or bodkins. It will not work for broadheads of any sort. You cannot draw it from the fletch end as the head would snag on the disc...and if you draw from the point end you have to compress the flights going through those holes. Not good even for transport *except* with field or bodkin tips.

We know soldiers thrust sheaves of arrows into their belts...almost invariably bodkin points or those small classic medieval points..even those latter can snag however.

For hunting...or bleeding the target however; you must have a broadhead. In medieval times those were leaf shaped or big swallowtails...along with the more common simple broadheads we see today. No one ever sticks those in the ground or through a belt. Even if sheathed they will catch the belt on drawing...just the nature of the beast. If you hunt with a bow you know movement matters.

Tugging on a snagged arrow is no fun. I cannot speak definitively of course, I am no archaeologist or scholar after all..but my experience so far has put the spotlight firmly on the arrow bag, at least where hunting is concerned. War is something else and if you are piercing armor the arrows are likely bodkins. Which I have some of. ;)

Mmm....I have 18 broadheads...six of those are modern sockets, 12 are carbon steel trade hunting points that get set in and bound with sinew. I have a dozen classic medieval points, along with 6 long bodkins, six leaf blade points, and some 200 field points.

I get my shafts from Allegheny Arrow Woods; 100 count ash is the best deal for me. :)

I use a true-taper tool at the moment for socket heads and I use a hacksaw blade in a short handle for cutting the slots for heads and nocks perpendicular to the grain of the shaft. I buy my feathers..they are real feathers but dyed to help distinguish them from other folks arrows, and I use fletching tape and a Jo-Jan multi-fletcher with a left hand helical twist for setting the flights. Then I bind them on with black silk thread. I will see about getting some pics of the first six of them up so you can see...those have snap-nocks on them and modern heads. I'll get more pics up as I can, if that helps. Arrow bag too.

From a Ranger perspective I think the hunting aspect is probably the more likely one; being clannish and tribal we have to hunt a lot. Stand up battles are not common and from my perspective we are more guerrilla like on the whole...skirmishers. We make them bleed.

Just my take at the moment. Heavily influenced by the joy of hunting. I make no apologies. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Right then, I am gearing up for the coming Whitetail season and Turkey season. Making more broadhead arrows and getting kit in order. Who else is hunting this year?

I also hunt with a flintlock in longhunter kit, with which I am looking at attending the Primitive Biathlon in southern Vermont in February, but we'll see.

For the moment, it is Ranger kit and clothing all the way. Scouting is ongoing and soon that scouting will be done in proper kit and clothing; you have to be comfortable in your kit to hunt effectively and the only way that can happen is by wearing it, comments and looks or no.

Fortunately, we do not need orange for archery season so total period kit is possible. Since I am a member of St. Hubert's Rangers as well, it all works out quite well. New arrow bag in offing; as I have said, I prefer arrow bags for hunting and this one I will make in oiled leather for greater durability. Pics will follow in the how-to thread once I get started.

Eledhwen
Ranger-Huntress
Nandalad!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Regrettably, I will not make hunting season again this year. Maybe next year. I would need some new arrows, but that is not a big deal. Maybe I will do a little scouting while I am home...in kit.

I really need to get my pics put together for St Hubert's.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Well that is the plan.. well part of the plan while you are home on leave.. getting pics of your kit.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com