Need-wallet

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Need-wallet

Post by Mirimaran »

Yep, thanks for all the kind comments! I'm in the same boat, Ringulf, trying to figure out what goes where and in what pouch. Part of the fun :D we are heading towards Fall, which for us means Faire season, and then winter, which is usually our productive period since we'll be indoors alot, so hoping to crank out a couple of more pouches and maybe a new quiver. I do enjoy this hobby!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Hey Ken, way to make use of resources! I've always wondered if our ancestors in more primitive times wouldn't have done something like decorative embroidery on patched spots, as a way to make necessity a thing of beauty. I know back in the Iron Age, things were not only made to last, but were also things of beauty, values we've lost in the Industrial Age. Not that I could embroider; I tried it once and it killed my hands. They were sore, aching messes before I was thru, although I was thrilled with the results. Anyway, good job!
Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dailir »

For me I just have a couple circles of cotton cloth with a leather drawstring. I throw the super essentials (Flint & steel, Extra knife, some wire, fishing lines, and hooks.) in the smaller one which I keep on my belt. As for everything else, it all goes in the larger one and I just tie it anywhere including on a walking staff.
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Post some pics sometime, Dailir. In the new Robin Hood movie, you cans see the Merry Men carrying their gear much the same way.

Kaelin, I have tried to embroider as well with mixed results. Fun though! For my bags, I had about three feet of braided cord that I stitched to the seams, so it covers up any mistakes I made lol.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

Hello, I'm back. Summer is a crazy time for me.

Looking at the pics of the model posted by Greg, perhaps something like this would work, if shoulder straps were added.

http://www.nmia.com/~bohemond/Bootshop/ ... -pouch.htm

Hawk
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Steve b wrote:Looking at the pics of the model posted by Greg, perhaps something like this would work, if shoulder straps were added.

Hawk
Great find, Steve! That'd make a great dwarven need-wallet! Granted, it'd work for any race, but it really has a dwarven flair to me.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I knew I liked that one! I was thinking the same thing!

The military pouch looks very much Khazad but the first one under pouches looks very rangerlike in it's chestnut brown leather and dyed green deerskin.

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

It does look LOTR dwarvish, they seem to have some obsession with angles...lol

Ken
Greg

Post by Greg »

On the subject of need-wallets, being pouches that would never leave the body for necessity reasons, something occurred to me a few months ago that I've started carrying in mine. Not period, but absolutely necessary for ALL practicing rangers.

Fishing, Hunting, and (if necessary) Hawking licenses should ALL be carried in a need wallet-esque pouch that never leaves your person. If anything has to be ditched, the punishment for poaching could far outweigh "death at the hands of orcs" in this day and age. Don't leave your licenses behind.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

i FINALLY got to upload the photos of my need wallet project ( either that or its a middle earth butt pack lol) not mutch to tell its heavy leather with a steel buckle made by me.

this is the need wallet on my sword belt.

this is the contents of the wallet. a candle.some hemp twine for cordage, an oil stone and file for weapon maintanance. and a fire kit with char cloth flint and striker ( have to replace striker though) oh and a primative fishing kit with home made hooks, cork bobber, and line. just attachn to my unstringed bow.
should cover all the most basic bush/ranger craft needs.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Don't forget your fishing/hunting licenses! Something we often overlook, but can't live without!
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Got it! :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

What an awesome job, Dwayne! :D Your kit looks great! Love that buckle! Thanks for the contents pic!

Ken
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well this one is a little off the beaten trail from the need wallet, but my gear needed a bit more of a dwarven approach to storage. I loved the pouch that Steve B showed us and it got me thinking of a leather ruck sack type of set up.
Normally these are either fabulously expensive, almost too intricate to make or are loaded with modern hardware.
Fortunately I lucked out and found a very nice pack, fairly small, fitting very easily between my shoulder blades and had a great look with a small price tag.
I felt it is fairly well made (though I would not think it able to stand up to what a genuine leather pack could) and thought I would share it with you.Image
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

What sort of hardware do you think you'll end up installing on it? I assume you intend to replace the webbing straps, etc. I see some snap-buttons on there, too, that could use some help. What're your plans?