Archer's glove

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Archer's glove

Post by Gondian »

For all of those who wanted a close up view of the "Bracer", here you go. It is actually two peices, the glove and forearm guard.
Attachments
SDC10646 small.JPG
SDC10646 small.JPG (67.46 KiB) Viewed 18131 times
SDC10644 small.JPG
SDC10644 small.JPG (69.88 KiB) Viewed 18131 times
SDC10643 small.JPG
SDC10643 small.JPG (48.7 KiB) Viewed 18131 times
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Dailir

Re: Archer's glove

Post by Dailir »

That looks very well done! :) Is it one you made yourself?
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thankyou for posting the pics I am very interested as I am looking for the right design myself. I am most interested in the inner gauntlet part. Did you find a particular type of glove and adapt it? If so, where?
I have been looking for one that is not bulky and clumsy.
Oh! Ann by the way, congratulations on the tournement and on your lovely girls they all look very sweet and one can clearly tell how much they adore you!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

After trying lots of things I finally came to the conclusion that the fingerless glove and vambrace combination were the most practical. It can work with gloves with full fingers too, but in Summer I prefer fingerless gloves.

Great job!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yes I have come to the same realization as I have been shooting 4 or 5 times a week lately and it is still rather hot down here. I had gotten myself a pair of chestnut brown suade welders gloves at harbor freight for around 6 bucks and I took the fingers off. I used the fingers and made 5 bow stringers then used my dark brown mechanic's goves underneath. The suede is developing a bit of a tear right on the inside of the bow arm from the string so the bracer is definitely a good idea. I was wondering though, these gloves are really basic and inexpensive but what have you folks found that is a bit more "real" and somewhat more durable. other than getting a good pair of brown motercycle or driving gloves then attaching my ouwn gauntlet sleeve I am not sure where to find what I am looking for. Gondian's rig looked very nice and is more along the lines of what I would make "Kit".
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I had a pair of fingerless ranch gloves of soft cowhide...from elkhide I made another pair based on those without the tighteners and elastic in the wrist. The bracer is another piece of soft leather with a hardened piece of 8 oz stitched to it. I used buckles for closure rather than laces but it looks rather like the photos. I am tinkering with the notion of adding a strip of reinforcement or padding to the grip area of the left glove. I'd have to take it apart, but it might be worth the effort.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Gondian,

Would you be willing or have to time to show what the two parts of your half glove and bracer look like separated?
Gondian

Post by Gondian »

Gona get those pics on as soon as I can, yes I made the "Bracer" my self, I traced my hand and added about 1/2 an inch all the way around. Cut two peices out of an old leather coat and sewed them together.
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Very cool piece of kit.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

AH! That expains it! That is what makes it go from "costume", "past garb, to "kit"! and why I was so impressed with it even on a subconscious level, before I knew how it was made. That is good rangering right there! Thank you for sharing it! It is nice to have you here! :D
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

I like the idea. I think for myself I'd use a short fingerless glove, something like a weightlifter's glove and attach the bracer to the inner wrist. while I want the protection on the inside of the arm, I don't think I'd want two layers of leather wrapped around the whole forearm.

Hawk
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Yavion wrote:Would you be willing or have to time to show what the two parts of your half glove and bracer look like separated?
Don't mean to harrass, but I've been trying to work out a pattern for that or a similar inner glove, and it's just not happening. Planning for my next bow to be shot off the hand, so this'll be important. Any chance a pic might be forthcoming? Thanks!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I've been shooting off the hand for almost ten years without a bracer/glove and never had any real issues. If I'm shooting for hours then my forearm can get red but I've only been cut by the fletchings once (the most recent practice I had). That said, I would like to add something like this to my kit as an eventuality, but I have never seen it as a necessity.

Very sweet work, though. How stiff is the leather on the bracer?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Gondian! I thank you for starting me on this little journey and I am working diligently on my own shooting bloves and bracers, but as I was doing so I got some interest from my kids and thier respective signifigants, so I decided that was a good indication as to what they could use for Christmas too. So My Daughter and my son's girlfriend are getting the ladies gloves that I will post below. Since they are looking for function and esthetics I allowed myself the freedom of the time machine to use velcro and allow zippers to remain. I will not do so for myself but I want the kids to use them and enjoy them, they just had to look in period for the Moot.

After Christmas I can get back to my own and make some that will hopefully look half as good as yours! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Those are great looking! Well done!
Greg wrote:
Yavion wrote:Would you be willing or have to time to show what the two parts of your half glove and bracer look like separated?
Don't mean to harrass, but I've been trying to work out a pattern for that or a similar inner glove, and it's just not happening. Planning for my next bow to be shot off the hand, so this'll be important. Any chance a pic might be forthcoming? Thanks!
And yes, I totally agree! I've been wanting to make something similar to the bracer Russel Crowe wears in the 2010 Robin Hood film, and I'm interested in whatever pattern you may have used here, because it appears to be a similar design. Like you, I plan to have a soft sleeve of leather for the under-bracer (in theory this will lace), and then a heavier one with buckles as the over-bracer that's reinforced for shooting. The setup would sort of resemble Boromir's/Aragorn's Gondorian bracers, with an soft laced layer underneath and a heavier buckled layer on top, only I want the soft under layer to include a piece that wraps around the hand, relieving me of the necessity of wearing a glove. I just haven't figured out what a pattern for this sort of thing might look like.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains