How to make riveted Chain Maile

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

How to make riveted Chain Maile

Post by caedmon »

Ah my two loves, Maker Culture, and the Medieval Tech.

Here's a tutorial on how to make Riveted Chain Maile.
Last edited by caedmon on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: relinked to correct site.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: How to make riveted Chain Maile

Post by Greg »

*sigh*

And here I am, finally about to finish my butted shirt. Back to the drawing board!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
markp

Post by markp »

I suddenly imagine my first ever and amateur chain mail. In which I used old wire coat hangers to make them into rings by twirling them. I would then link them with the use of pliers. Solder each link and at that time I have a wicked / bad / serious chain mail. Turns out, there are tons of instructions online.

Glad to have used this way before.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

markp wrote:I suddenly imagine my first ever and amateur chain mail. In which I used old wire coat hangers to make them into rings by twirling them. I would then link them with the use of pliers. Solder each link and at that time I have a wicked / bad / serious chain mail. Turns out, there are tons of instructions online.
That's precisely what I did! But that was 'round about 1990, so there wasn't even much of an online, much less instructions. I pieced it together based on info from the Appendix of Arms & Armor of the Medieval Knight by David Edge (1988 1st Ed. - hard to come by now!) and The Armourer and his Craft by Ffoulkes (oddly enough, also published in 1988). I may even have that sad first attempt around somewhere still...
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Not a bad tutorial. The tools haven't changed in a thousand years and more. LOL I have them..but my eyes aren't what they were and the tiny rivets are a challenge to them. These days I do not make maile any longer, beyond repairing the hauberks I already have.

BTW, the 'black wire that leaves crud' is annealed steel wire. Do NOT try to anneal anything coated, that is galvanized with zinc. Heated zinc gives off fearsomely toxic fumes...they will kill you and quickly. You can remove the galvy from wire using vinegar in a well ventilated (outdoors) area.

These days I make scale and lamellar. Easier on my eyes. :)

Have at it guys; few things give a feeling of accomplishment like completing riveted maile armor.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!