Guedelon medieval castle

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Guedelon medieval castle

Post by Jon »

http://www.guedelon.fr/en

Came across this link again. It's basically a 13th century castle that they are building using entirely medieval methods. I was lucky enough to be able to go and visit it during the summer. And it looks so authentic!! Forget the tourists, and it's hard to believe you're still in the 21st century. Half the guys live medievally on-site!
Say if they want to make a pully to get the stones (mined in the quary by forge-made pick axes) up on the wall, they have to get the plant fibres, make the rope, get the blacksmith then to forge a pully weel (out of iron mined on-site), chop down a tree, make the planks, season them, cut them to shape with a hand-forged saw... amazing stuff

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Erhilir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Guedelon medieval castle

Post by Erhilir »

I want to see that :)
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Fantastic!

We have a similar project here in the US: http://ozarkmedievalfortress.com/
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice, I'm going to pass this along to a few people !

Thanks for sharing.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That sounds amazing. Apparently they're also doing something like this somewhere in one of the US Appalachian states. I'd have to look it up to remember exactly where though.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

The Ozark Medieval fortress is here in Arkansas. Unfortunately construction has been stopped and may not start again. I did not get a chance to visit but a goof friend did and he said it was a great experience.
You can't take the sky from me.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yes, that's the one! But... but... What do you mean construction has stopped??? NOOOOOOOOO!!!! That looked like one of the best projects ever! Gah! I'm going to be so crushed if they never finish it!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I have heard from more than one source that construction has stopped and to continue they need much more financial backing. They apparently need some American investors or partners, the original project owners are French.
You can't take the sky from me.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

wulfgar wrote:the original project owners are French.
No wonder they gave up. :lol:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Heh, zing! But seriously, what a bummer.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Aaron wrote:

...so what are you trying to say?
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Aaron wrote:

AHAHAHAAH :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amen to that!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time." :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ringulf wrote:"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time." :mrgreen:
Sad that the only good Frenchman was played by an Englishman! lmao
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Well, I'm thinking our good friend Ringulf has French ancestry, and he's very good! And all joking aside, lots and lots of good things came from France! Certainly tons and tons of magnificent cultural contributions. In the literary field there is Alexandre Dumas, who wrote The Three Musketeers and many others, Victor Hugo, author of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Gaston Leroux, who wrote the Phantom of the Opera, Voltaire, and that's just off the top of my head. In the musical field, there is Maurice Ravel, Berlioz, Bizet and Debussy, my all time favorite Classical composer. In art there is Dore, Rodin, van Gogh, Monet, and in all these fields, I'm really just skimming the surface.

In the military field, France has a glorious history. They may have been defeated by the Nazi's, but don't forget that there likely would be no United States if France had not helped us. Over the large panoply of time, France has kicked England's butt a few times, and had colonies and territories all over the world. French Emperor Charlemagne ruled over most of Central and Western Europe in his time. And again, I'm just skimming.

France was also the central territory of the Gallic Celts, who gave Julius Caesar fits until he managed to use tribal rivalries to turn the Gauls against each other. Nevertheless, Vercingetorix, one of my great heroes, nearly beat Caesar. (And Vercingetorix's treatment at Caesar's hand just shows what dishonorable, nasty git he really was!)

So, while everyone may not like everything French, or every action of everyone in France, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater!