Ringulf's Axes, Seaxes, and Pointy Sticks

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Ringulf's Axes, Seaxes, and Pointy Sticks

Post by Ringulf »

No problem I read them both! Ha Ha!

I will not be able to tell you about the heads by themselves till I find out the best place to get the raw materials we make them from.

Right now we get them with the shafts as a whole piece. I will see if we canf find a way to get them by themselves. They can be put on any 3.5-4" shaft that is or can be made round with a tapered point.

Since several folks have asked I will get on that and have an answer for you soon. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
appalachianranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by appalachianranger »

A merchant ranger- I like it!
Looking forward to pictures of your work.
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

appalachianranger wrote:A merchant ranger- I like it!
Looking forward to pictures of your work.
Well the Dunadain themselves must have had those among them that were craftsmen and women and allot of barter within there comminity, But you never know when that itinerant dwarven peddler might wander down the trail and when he did....

Basing my assumtion that the Dunadain were not so isolatory (at least not in the earlier years in Rhuador, Arnor and Cardolan) That they would have had opportunities to trade with other peoples. So I am going to take a leap and say that men of all sorts, Elves who they regarded highly and Fostered there leaders sons to, Dwarves passing from the East and Southeast to the Blue Mountains and even Hobbits, seeing as Marco and Blanco secured the area of the Shire from the King in Fornost before seperating his small comunity from Breeland proper, were all encountered and protected by the Dunadain and most likely traded with them when possible

All that to say, yeah a Dwarven merchant become Ranger, who may even practice his skills to aid his brothers, or as an alternate identity to travel incognito, gathering information.

This has gotten me into some very long brainstorming sessions on what I would do (very much as JBook has begun with his gardening) If I were a dwarf among the Dunadain in the Third Age.
I am writing a story now that will be the backstory and explanation of this in my non existant spare time.

As a craftsman I have a fairly broad background. More artist than craftsman, I am sort of a "jack of all trades master of none", but I have taken some skills further than others. This broad background makes things that are multi- discaplined easier to achive. (IE: making a weapon and scabbard)

I enjoy working in:

Wood
clay/wax
leather
Metal

(I have done some basic smithing but nothing too advanced and I would like to dedicate myself to axe and knifemaking, then smaller blades, then eventually swords.
However at the moment, I can carve or sculpt some great plugs for casting, so you bladesmiths I avail my services to you)
Canvas and heavy cloth
(again my background working in sail lofts in the marine industry were I built replica/period ships, and restored period craft, rigging and sails)

Most recently my sojurn into the dwarven arts of tinsmithing and the clever devices that can be made by such skills, has led me to a plethora of interesting and usefull items that although they may not have been spoken of directly by Tolkien, except in the suggestions of cleverly built toys in Dale and metalworks of all types throughout thier races history, I feel they could be seen as things that could have been made and traded on a limited scale by those who came in contact with them.

The Firepiston project started much of my interest in these things, then at the behest of some of my friends I started to find other devices that would be rather helpful.

When wandering in the Marish one day visiting a good friend in the South Farthing, I came upon a young Hobbit couple out for a bit of a picnic so to speak. When I greeted them they, out of common Hobbit courtesy and the Tookish ember of curiosity deep in their hearts, invited me to sit and share their repast and a pipe of Longbottom (wich I had just procured). I first declined not wanting to interupt their tryst, but they intreated me for news of the outside world and of the nature of my wares.

Tiffin Bracegirdle and his betrothed, Miss Kelly Clearwater of Rushy served a lovely lunch and some wonderful tea, however the tea was quite cold and the lunch, both stew and some cold pickes and cheese, had all settled to an even, lukewarm consistancy. Niether dish was at all what it could have been. We got to discussing it and the two (who were both wonderful cooks who plyed their trade at the Blue Trout in Stock) asked me if by clever construction or Dwarven design, there might be any way to correct the problem of dining in the outdoors while keeping things seperated and at their proper temeratures.

This put me immediately in mind of some of the old Gutterdwarf stoves made by Sindri's folk of old and started me thinking of simular applications.

The stove is after some older patterns I aquired (Though I may modify them to be more efficient) The two new items and some of their varients have been suggested to me by my Tinker friends in Dale.

Of course these images are not my own works as of yet but these are the peices I will be working on:

The Gutterdwarf Stove:

The Kelly Kettle:

And The Tiffin Box

Stay tuned for my versions most likely just after the holidays!
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Watching this with interest, my friend! I think you have exactly the right idea! Keep it up!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ah Yule!,

My busiest time of year. You would think I was Father Christmas myself or at least one of his elves.

BTW In Tolkiens "Letters to Father Christmas" which along with the Hobbit, I used to read to my children every year like clockwork. Elves are Canonical!

My kids would ask me to start reading The Hobbit on Thanksgiving day, I barely had finished my turkey and they were there with my big anotated edition (they loved all the pictures and side notes) Chanting in unison "Daddy, Daddy, Hobbit, Hobbit!"
They are older now but still sometimes sit with me and read, they still love it.

When it was finished in a few days we would read a letter a night from the Father Christmas book, which if you don't have you should really try to borrow buy or download as it is precious, my Precious.

I started getting my Neices and Nephews into the habbit of Recieving a letter just as he wrote with the Great North Polar Bear and his little friend Valkotuka and the many Elves and Goblins (All part of a Tolkien Christmas!).

Now that they are older too I have started getting or making them the types
of things that remind them of those days and their crazy Father and Uncle.

All this to say, All the kids are getting Tiffin Boxes from Father Yule this year.
I will be sewing up their leather carry bags as soon as possible but I thought I would show them to you and the neet little Dwarven eating utensil I modified to fit them.