Hood Pattern

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Hood Pattern

Post by Eledhwen »

I have a hood with leaf dags..not oak but leaves. They are lovely, break up the line of the hood...and sometimes get in the way of the bowstring too. One of those cases where learning to live with your gear does the trick. They are very pretty hoods, no mistake. Mine also has a liripipe, which I wouldn't really suggest, but then it wasn't originally made with rangering in mind either.

Nice hoods here!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The liripipe can be a bit of a pain but if you are cold or want to clear it for action, it can be wrapped like a scarf too depending on legnth.
That may act as a form of ranger mask and then again might get you strangled....guess you got pro's and cons, but they can be lovely! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Eledhwen wrote:I have a hood with leaf dags..not oak but leaves. They are lovely, break up the line of the hood...and sometimes get in the way of the bowstring too. One of those cases where learning to live with your gear does the trick. They are very pretty hoods, no mistake. Mine also has a liripipe, which I wouldn't really suggest, but then it wasn't originally made with rangering in mind either.
Hadn't considered dagging getting snarled in bowstrings, good point. Of course that might be an interesting excuse for an assymetrical design for the hood.

As for the liripipe, I love mine. I use it as a face covering, as well allows me to wear the hood as a hat (a historical reality, but not a look that fits middle-earth). When not in use it's tucked into my belt and doesn't cause trouble.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's interesting. I hadn't considered using the liripipe as a scarf or face cover. I've never really gone in for them because they seemed a bit silly to me, and smacked of "conspicuous consupmtion," which is something I don't have much interest in, even as a historical costumer. But if you're going for Late Middle Ages, they're perfectly acceptable, and the practice of wearing a hood or chaperon as a hat was, as caedmon pointed out, quite common. It's odd, because many of the designs from Peter's Jackson's LotR trilogy were definitely influenced by later medieval styles, and yet things like extensive dagging and such were pretty much nonexistent. It was almost like the armorial technology of the Late Middle Ages was combined with the simpler cuts and lines of the Low Middle Ages to create a unique style. But then, it's fantasy, so that sort of thing can't be looked at too closely.

Still, Tolkien never really went into a lot of description about these sorts of details to my recollection, so if you want to say bollocks to the PJ movies and go your own route, it seems it could very well be acceptable to do all sorts of things.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Just a thought: since we've got the new forum sections and all, ought this to be moved into "Soft Kit?"
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

I figure once caedmon and pete and the other mods finish sorting through all the posts they will get more stuff moved to the right forums.

Believe me... I run a few forums and it can take a while hehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I know how it goes. No worries!
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Manveruon wrote:Just a thought: since we've got the new forum sections and all, ought this to be moved into "Soft Kit?"
Good point, thanks.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017