My Kit (picture heavy)

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: My Kit (picture heavy)

Post by Ernildir »

I like your quiver modification for tarp-hanging. Do you basically just fold your blanket and drape it over the lace beneath the quiver?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I thought that might have been sassafrass as I saw two of the three leaf types that the tree grows. A very interesting and unique choice! The fact that you did it without the modern leather tools is also impressive.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Yeah I love the boots.. but would need a serious vibram sole attached to the bottom.. plus I still have to had cusion inserts hehe

After Erich makes his.. we shall see if I get a pair later on hehe.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

It's amazing how having a single piece of leather as the sole of your shoe makes you slow down as you go through the woods. Your feet do get used to it, but it completely changes the way you move...much quieter for starters!

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Yeah, but for those with foot problems (and modern tender tootsies), sometimes you have to find that happy medium. Personally I plan to do a low of walking in mine and will likely use sole bend leather on the bottom with a thin layer of vibram for a little added traction. The option is to go for hobnailed boots and I will pass on them.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Hobnails aren't bad; my Late Roman/Sub Roman boots are partially hobnailed..and of course my caligae are completely hobnailed.

However; they are not meant for walking on smooth surfaces like polished stone, smooth slate, and so on. Interesting acrobatics can result from this sort of thing...as I know all too well. Likewise, if you have wood floors, the last thing you want to wear on them are hobnails; they'll cheerfully tear it all up in jig time.

Solution? Same as the Romans did; they had leatherwraps that covered the hobnails and laced along the top of the foot.

I have always been exceedingly interested in the fact that all modern sportswear sole design is derived from the Roman hobnail patterns. People who march 25 miles a day in full kit, dig and fill forts at the end and start of each one, definitely know feet. Intimately.

Still, for Rangering partial hobnailing, say along the front and rear edges might be as much as you'd want. One way to start getting your feet hardened up, so to speak, is to start having a go with those new shoes they have for hiking that are supposed to be like going barefoot...but not entirely. I haven't tried them myself, yet...but I might. My feet are pretty tough as it is; dancing oes that, but it might not hurt to have a go-between bit of footwear.

Thought provoking thread.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

yeah I'm diabetic and have serious lower back problems.. so I NEED the thicker soles and the inserts hehe. And it sucks because I used to go barefoot all the time growing up. I even have to wear at least socks or slippers indoors, as I have to be careful of my feet.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Ernildhir wrote:I like your quiver modification for tarp-hanging. Do you basically just fold your blanket and drape it over the lace beneath the quiver?

I hadn't actually thought of doing it that, but it's a good idea. I usually just roll it up and tie it hanging underneath the quiver.
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Kiriana wrote:yeah I'm diabetic and have serious lower back problems.. so I NEED the thicker soles and the inserts hehe. And it sucks because I used to go barefoot all the time growing up. I even have to wear at least socks or slippers indoors, as I have to be careful of my feet.
I hear you there. Yes, vibram soles and sheepskin insoles would be the way to go there.

Brian

P.S. And speaking of Vibram, Eledhwen, I have some of their five finger shoes, and I love them. They give just enough protection against abrasion without hampering your feel of the ground. Great shoes...not period at all, unless you put fur on top and make hobbit feet out of them!

Brian
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

We had an interesting discussion about these in the thread I re post here.

http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... =18&t=1369

Please add what you you think too Brian.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Just getting around to reading this thread. Yep, Greg's right, I made a pair of those. I wish I had used thread as you did. The latigo is a pain! I finally had to glue it in place to keep it from working its way loose again. The large lacing holes make for a free-flowing environment where water is involved. One of the Ren-faires I went to was very wet and my feet were soaked all day long. If I ever make another pair, I'll use a good thread instead of the lace. I will also need to add a thin insole to my existing pair. I went trail hiking in these once. It was over natural - dirt, tree root, some rock - terrain and when I was done, I felt like I had been walking barefoot on gravel all day. But I still love my boots.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.