Pipe Re-build Finished

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Pipe Re-build Finished

Post by Greg »

About a year and a half ago, Ken sold his pipe to fellow forum member, Duathen, who then re-furbished it into his own unique creation.

See thread:
http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... hilit=pipe

Around the same time, my beloved furry companion, Shadow, decided my own MacQueen "Fable" pipe would make an excellent chew toy.

See page two of the aforementioned thread.

Inspired by Duathen's creativity and my own sudden lack of a functional pipe for Rangering purposes, I almost immediately sanded the finish off of the expensive briar wood chew toy, and promptly set it aside for a rainy day.

One 2500-mile move, two jobs, and over half a pregnancy later, I pulled it out this week and finished it. Well, basically I started it...and finished it.

The end of the stem was basically destroyed, so the first part was easy enough...carve it off. So it's about an inch, maybe an inch and a quarter shorter than it originally was. There's still a little bit of a split remaining, but the metal pipe in all MacQueen stems started at this point, and I dared not cut anything further off.

After that, a bit of hand-shaping of the outside of the bowl with some files, including some notched filework around the bowl inspired by the tang on one of Odigan's custom knives he posted awhile back, and we were pretty well on our way. A dozen matches, a pot of woodstain, a hand-wrap of raw sinew, and a quick "G" on the back with the woodburner, and we were set.

Hope you enjoy! The next step will, of course, be a waxed leather case for it that mounts on my quiver strap for quick and easy access, and the all-too-important companion pouch for leaf.

-Greg
Last edited by Greg on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Dinendir.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Pipe Re-build Finished

Post by Dinendir. »

Wow, great job! Looks a lot better than the chewed version. :D But, really. Excellent, excellent work.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
He who seeks peace, prepares for war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That looks really great man! I would carry that proudly! enjoy it! :D

(and very nicely photographed by the way! You have a great eye for that type of thing.)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nicely done.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I like the photography as well! Looks great and that pipe just screams "character!" You could really have fun with a backstory for its present condition. It really looks like the pipe that a veteran of many wars and feuds might have with him, something precious from home that he'd rather die fighting over than to give up. Love what you did and kudos for letting your imagination take hold!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Lori
Wayfarer

Post by Lori »

I would say "Wow... Amazing" as if I didn't expect it, but since I watched you make the whole thing I can't really do that. What I can say... It was amazing watching the transformation of what our dog destroyed to a 'work of art'! If it were up to me, I would have thrown it away a long time ago because I don't keep things around (on display) that looks like garbage. So, I am glad it was not up to me and that you did not listen to your wife. You put your neck on the line and I am going to say it..... Take a deep breath....
You were right.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

you better print that out before she decides to edit it.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Willrett wrote:you better print that out before she decides to edit it.
Sorry Will it won't help. Greg can't use it against her, you see, Lori posted it on her Birthday and nothing you do on your Birthday can be used against you. :D
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Pete! Come ON! You are NOT helping here...

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much appreciated.

Lori...Love you!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.