Ranger Sleeve

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Erhilir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Ranger Sleeve

Post by Erhilir »

In John Falanagan's very first book when Halt gave will his ranger gear he gave him a sleeve to protect him from arrows hitting his arm.
So I picked some ruggs out of an old sweater and made this :
http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... 010183.jpg
http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... 010185.jpg
http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... 010184.jpg
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Aatnir
Wayfarer

Re: Ranger Sleeve

Post by Aatnir »

^May the shadows protect you.^
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I don't think either design will stop an arrow. I'd image something with an inner shaped "Plate" of boiled leather with an outer layer of Linen with cotton batting in between. You could leave a gap at he elbow for mobility. You'd just have to cover the outer half of the upper and lower arm. For support you could add points at the shoulder and tie it to a gorget type thing.
Winter is coming
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Aatnir wrote:I just pictured it like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Target-Armgua ... 10&veh=dat
This looks too modern in my eyes

mcapaneli : I made it just for the look. I've got a bracer to stop the arrows.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

mcapanelli wrote:I don't think either design will stop an arrow. I'd image something with an inner shaped "Plate" of boiled leather with an outer layer of Linen with cotton batting in between. You could leave a gap at he elbow for mobility. You'd just have to cover the outer half of the upper and lower arm. For support you could add points at the shoulder and tie it to a gorget type thing.
In the Ruins of Gorlan, in the RA series Halt gives Will (his apprentice ranger) the sleeve wich is simply a forearm cuff of heavy sueded leather, according to the general conscencus, and it is not to protect from arrows comming in it is simply a training aid for Will's bow arm from the string slap. (a popular subject on another thread I do believe) :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Aatnir
Wayfarer

Post by Aatnir »

I just meant the basic shape. Make it more rough and leathery and old and that's what I had in mind, and yes it was for string slap, not defending against arrows. No one is going to aim for your arm if they're shooting an arrow at you.
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

As I said before my english aren't that good when i said stop an arrow i meant stopping the arrow you shoot from scratching your arm
Aatnir
Wayfarer

Post by Aatnir »

it's still not for stopping the arrow from scratching your arm, it's to stop the string from slapping your arm.
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Aatnir and ringulf you are right I had been confused with the greek translation of the book! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Erhilir on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I agree with Ranger mcapanelli, It would have to be thick leather. I have made some thin leather, pleather and cloth ones in the past and my arm paid the price. If you have a bow with alot of pull, best protect those arms. You only have two and you need them both to shoot.

RHG
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.