Camping tri-pods, utensils?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Camping tri-pods, utensils?

Post by Avery P. »

Hey fellas, got a question. My dad and I are considering making up a bunch of blacksmith made camping tripods and/or spits, forks, spoons, etc. I don't have any pictures yet, got too dark tonight. I was just wondering whether any of you folks would be interested in picking one up. Just gauging interest atm. I'll get some pics up when I can.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Camping tri-pods, utensils?

Post by E.MacKermak »

I think I can speak for myself and Kiriana that we have wanted a spit and a decent sized tripod for a while. Utensils might also be nice. Always on the look out for interesting utensils.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

The tripods, when set up, will stand between 3' to 4' above the fire. We can also make them bigger or smaller. Right now we're expirementing with a design to where you can take the tripod apart and use it as a spit. I'll post a pic when I get time, may be toward the weekend though.
- W. Shakespeare
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have been looking for a substantial tripod and a spit with two forked stakes would be great some utensils that are reasonably priced would also come in handy for the camp site. The ranger stuff we do for the SCA would benefit greatly by haveing a good period set of camp gear!.
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

My trekking kit can't really afford the addition of something so large as a tripod and a spit, but for the occasional group moot, it's crossed my mind that one could be useful. Any word on price range?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Greg wrote:My trekking kit can't really afford the addition of something so large as a tripod and a spit, but for the occasional group moot, it's crossed my mind that one could be useful. Any word on price range?
Well, what got us to seriously thinking about selling these is that we saw a booth that had tripods selling them for $90. And they were nearly sold out. Depending on the size, our largest would run about 70 or so for you guys. As far as your trekking gear, I could probably come up with a smaller version that would be easily transported.

@Ringulf - would the stakes need to be forked? Once I get the current set made, take a look at how it works and see what you think.
- W. Shakespeare
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK Avery, I was just thinking about the roasting spits I have seen were the spit lays across two forked stakes over the fire and can be cranked or turned to allow the meat to cook on all sides.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Okay guys, I got a couple prototypes done. The first one is a closed loop design, doesn't really fold together close for transport or be converted to a spit. It stands about waist high.

This is the large version, it can stand up to about 4 1/2' and is a take down design. The two closed loops sit in the crook when used as a tripod and can be seperated to stand as a spit.

I'm also working on some fittings for the big one when it's used as a spit. Two loops that will slide up and down on each stake so you can get the spit as close to the fire as you want. Didn't get them done before it got dark.
@ Ringulf - do you like this spit version or would you rather have a forked set?
- W. Shakespeare
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Not sure about Ringulf, but I like that last one. Add a separate spit rod with the little prongs to hold the dead animal straight and a crank handle (easier to get the kids to turn it) and put a price and we can talk. Might be the new year for us, but I like the modular design.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

I was thinking the same thing last night.. about how to put a handle to turn the spit. But yes.. definately like that last one.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Looks good Avery that was the setup I wanted but using the diferent heads lets you utilize it in several ways...crafty as a ranger should be! :mrgreen:

(I also would think it would work better if there were some sort of cross peice to hold the carcass from turning on the spit even if that were a hole or loop that allowed another small skewer to pass through it so the meat turns with the spit and dos not spin around it.)
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Thanks all. If the last design is the preferred style I'll concentrate on that. I'll see what I can come up with as far as a handle and a way to attach the meat the rod. There's a couple of ideas floating around in my head, but keep the suggestions coming.
- W. Shakespeare
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Hey folks, sorry for the double post and no updates. I started a new job two weeks ago and haven't had time to do anything aside from eat, sleep, clock in, clock out.

I'm still working on different variations of the tri pod and think I can do pretty good on the price for you guys(and gals). Once I get it all together, I'll post some more pics of how it all goes together, just bear with me. I'll be doing this in spare time I have to find between work and sleep lol.
- W. Shakespeare