Leather Boot & Jerkin Projects

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Leather Boot & Jerkin Build Time

Post by Ernildir »

Greg wrote: The sole is going to be layered, glued, and stitched leather, with a glued-on thin rubber sole over that to increase the sole's life. I don't want to have to rebuild an entire sole every time they get worn out...the rubber will help it last longer without adding non-historical tread, etc.
I was looking back at this thread to help in guiding me in a certain aspect of my moccasin project when I read this. Is rubber actually historically allowed (that would be nice)? o.0 Or was Greg's sole plan here just a small sacrifice to authenticity for the great benefits of longevity?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Leather Boot & Jerkin Build Time

Post by caedmon »

Ernildir wrote: I was looking back at this thread to help in guiding me in a certain aspect of my moccasin project when I read this. Is rubber actually historically allowed (that would be nice)? o.0 Or was Greg's sole plan here just a small sacrifice to authenticity for the great benefits of longevity?

Like potatoes and tobacco, rubber is a new world product.

It is processable by medieval equivalent methods.

It is not to my knowledge ever mentioned in Lord of the Rings.

Use of rubber soles are up to your interpretation of the source material and conscience.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Leather Boot & Jerkin Projects

Post by Manveruon »

It's Elf-magic!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Druin
Wanderer

Post by Druin »

A wizard did it!
Happy Hunting
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

It must have been a secretion from a yet undisclosed animal mixed with a soon to be discovered tree sap and when I stepped in it by mistake and it dried on the bottom of my shoe... :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ringulf wrote:It must have been a secretion from a yet undisclosed animal mixed with a soon to be discovered tree sap and when I stepped in it by mistake and it dried on the bottom of my shoe... :mrgreen:
It never would have happened if you hadn't sat down with your feet up by the fire. Next time do your camp chores before taking a nap.