the Foxfire Books.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

the Foxfire Books.

Post by Avery P. »

As I was just typing a response, I mentioned the Foxfire books and realized I've not seen them mentioned here. Is anyone here familiar with them? They are a series of books that were started as a school project in a high school in Georgia decades ago. They center on Appalachian lore and living. Articles range from Salt curing ham to tanning hides, making jellies, building with logs and even distilling spirits from corn. That really just scratches the surface of the wealth of knowledge. All of it is based from Southern Appalachian lore and gives good insights into a way of life that is now all but defunct. I am lucky enough to own the first 4 in hardback, but here is a link to Just the first one, where it's already in PDF form.

http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... reVol1.pdf

If this has been mentioned before, I apologize for the repeat.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Fox
Dúnadan

Re: the Foxfire Books.

Post by Fox »

Thanks for the link, Avery. We have a number of them stashed away in storage, along with most of my library. Seems to me that the earlier books in the series were the best, at least in terms of useful info, but they were all worth a look.
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
BarrelMaker
Wayfarer

Post by BarrelMaker »

I agree, fabulous books! My parents had the first 4 which I flipped though often growing up. I own a few and wish to purchase more, Boone, NC isn't the best place in terms of bookstores though.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I had as many of them as was out by the mid to late 80's but they got destroyed by waterdamage and I have wanted to replace them for years thanks for the link and I may check the Gutenburg project to see if they are available for download. Great books, full of stuff that has almost been forgotten.
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

My mother started getting them in the late 60's, great books. I think my brother has them now.
BarrelMaker
Wayfarer

Post by BarrelMaker »

Just a little side note, if you enjoy the Foxfire Books you may want to look for a magazine titled "The Backwoodsman." It's along the same line as the books, I feel.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

The Richies' do a great job with the Backwoodsman mags. A little pricey for the content that's worthiness varies. Some issues are packed; the next a little lean.

Usually a good read, amongst Mother Earth News and Backwoods Home.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I read all those mags and new pioneer and survivalist, as far as the foxfire books I received a bam gift card for my bday and plan on getting three books linked bellow.

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Traditio ... 3044770637
http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Beginner ... 3044770637
http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Foxfire- ... 3044770637
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"