August Trek - Nor Cal [PICTURES]

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

August Trek - Nor Cal [PICTURES]

Post by Greg »

A Ranger and a member of the Rohirrim? Traveling together?

On a BOAT?!

Indeed. My friend David (recently joined here, hasn't posted yet) and I are in the process of putting together a two-night three day canoe trip through the lower lake Berryessa here in Northern California. I've been off the forums for awhile because I've been moving (though I didn't miss much, I don't think, courtesy of some trigger-happy hacker) and am now a resident of Northern California. The move's put my Falconry advancement on hold, as I have to find a -sponsor up here for my apprenticeship, but I've got other things like an internship at a recording studio up here to worry about.

That, and, of course, an epic canoe trip.

We're finishing up some basics so we can go out in solid ME garb, no modern strings attached, which is the only reason we haven't done it already. The only modern thing about our whole getup is going to be our canoe (cursed kevlar rentals) and a camera. I'm going to be documenting our progress along the way of planning it out, with hopes that the rest of you might point out any flaws or problem spots to think about so we do it right the first time. This'll be the first time anyone from my group has done any ME/Fantasy reenactment via boat, so it's going to be a very fun experience. I'm an experienced canoe handler, and David's used them before too, so that's not a worry. We're a little tight on budget, though, so a canvas tent probably isn't going to be feasible by that time. Thankfully, it's the dry season up here, so the only real expenses we're going to have to worry about are food, boat rental, and fishing licenses.

Anywho, please feel free to ask if we've remembered this that or the other, even now, so we can make sure we've prepared adequately. Thanks!
Last edited by Greg on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Canoe Tripping

Post by Eledhwen »

*is seriously jealous* Canoe camping. Haven't done that in years. How I miss it.

Enjoy it!

Siani
Nandalad!
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

Besides being jealous, I would like to point out that you're now closer to me! We're in Bend, so, you know, 8 hour drive:-P

On that note, An-Tir West War (SCA) is this coming weekend, thursday-sunday. lots to do, lots of fun, and the lady and I are doing a Horseback archery demo at the event, you should come!!

http://www.currentmiddleages.org/antirwestwar/
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'd love to come, but there's no way I can make it up there. Especially not with a few big sessions at the studio this weekend. Have fun, though!

My girlfriend and I are heading on over to the lake on Wednesday to scout out the place and give the rental place a try. We'll let you all know how that goes. They rent Old Town canoes along with their vast arsenal of Kayaks, so I should be very comfortable and at home in them.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to keeping gear strapped into boats so if we have any problems (we're sticking to the shallows) we don't have to go swimming to the bottom to retrieve gear?
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

A lot of semi-modern canoes and kayaks have the sort of gear-racks you'd expect on a medieval canoe. Other then that, It really depends on the canoe, but wrap it in oil-canvass and don't tip.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Greg

Post by Greg »

Good call. I'd go for dry-sacks, but they're about as non-accurate as it gets, short of smart phones and computers, so...yeah.

Does anyone know anything about the advent of outriggers on boats in general? I've been considering throwing in a little extra for an outrigger to preserve our gear in the event the water gets extra choppy (as the winds can be VERY high up here) or something else goes wrong. I'm sure we'd be fine without one, and I personally hate outriggers because of what they do to our overall turning radius, etc., but I'd be willing to give one a go to save us the hassle of starting off headfirst in the drink. Still, if they're not valid, I'll gladly push the thought aside.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Polynesians have been using outrigger canoes for thousands of years, as in, they've found canoe remains that date 3-4k years old. They've also been using really advanced sail and tracking techniques for a long time too. Outrigger on a little 2 man canoe is something I think a ranger would come up with for long distance canoe trips.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the info! I'll take that into consideration when I visit the rental place tomorrow.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Extended response, via my anthro classes in college, as best as I can remember at least:

If you consider this map: Image

and then look at the migration patterns of early polynesians Image, specifically the lapita tribes, and the groups that settled in New Guinea and southern Philippines earlier, you will realize that they did in fact migrate against the ocean currents. This requires a very advanced use of wind and a technique called tacking to get "upstream" by zig-zagging across the current, and rotating the sail to the opposite side of the boat so that the front became the back and the back became the front and the outrigger-pontoon was always downstream, and all without compases, spyglasses, or motors.

They had multi-hull boats Image, and mainly for early migration, canoes with outriggers like this Image, and a sail like this one if I remember correctly, Image.

The use of outrigger canoes is also, to my knowledge, known to be used in south american tribes, some african tribes (somalia area?) and even in early korean and japanese migration/travel i believe.

And there's your anthro class for the week;)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Greg

Post by Greg »

Any homework for the weekend?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:Any homework for the weekend?
Yeah, take plenty of pictures.

Ranger Tip of the Day: Maille does not make a good Life Vest!
David

Post by David »

Hey all! I'm the "member of the Rohirrim" Greg mentioned...my computer has been acting funky lately, so I haven't been able to sign in for at least a week.

Greg & I will both bring our cameras, so there will be plenty of pictures to post here afterwards. Lake Berryessa isn't as green/beautiful as ME in the summer, but it's still the wilderness. =)

Also, I'd like to think of this as a Beleg Cúthalion & Túrin Turambar adventure...minus the backstabbing...
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Greg

Post by Greg »

...and there'll be enough trees to hide us from public eye on the islands we'll be staying on.

Wait a minute...who said anything about no backstabbing? You totally called my bluff!

Er..umm...wait...

...you didn't hear that.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alright, unfortunately, the canoe rental company we were going through doesn't do overnight rentals for reasonable rates. Okay, no, they're fairly reasonable, but outside the range of what we had in mind, so we're going to make this into a three day on-foot expedition into some land in other parts of the area. Details to follow, photos still to come. We're looking at doing it in about a week and a half to two weeks.
Greg

Re: August Trek - Nor Cal

Post by Greg »

Alright, the trek's been scheduled. Next week, Monday through Wednesday.

We're heading up one of two feeder streams of Lake Hennessy, CA into the backwoods in the hills up above the lake. Plenty of good fishing both at the Lake and up the stream, which will provide a pleasant and ready water source, post-purification. Lots of Cattail plants and some other natural sources to help add to the simple diet we'll be packing out there. Photos will be taken, shields shall be splintered, and orcs will fall...but just orcs. Hopefully, said photos will encourage everybody to get out there some more and take advantage of the summer sun while we all have it!