Leather Question

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ennelyn
Wayfarer

Leather Question

Post by Ennelyn »

I am curious about something. Is there a trick to dyeing leather? Each time I have tried to dye leather brown, it comes out with a reddish tint to it, and I am not sure why.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Leather Question

Post by Yavion »

What kind of dye are you using? Are you getting the leather wet first? What kind of leather is it?

It's the little things when dyeing leather. You want your leather to be a little moist and warm. If it's warm the dye will seep into the pores better. It also makes a difference if you're using alcohol or oil based dye. Of course you don't want to wet the leather too much if oil based, as it won't take as well.
Ennelyn
Wayfarer

Post by Ennelyn »

I am using Eco-Flo, a water based dye that Tandy Leather sells, on veg tanned leather sides. Maybe a different brand would be best?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. -J.R.R. Tolkien
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

What color Eco-Flo? Eco-Flo can be a bit difficult to work with. Make sure your leather is clean and damp when you apply it. That seems to work best. And don't forget to seal it with something after it dries or your clothes will likely have added color the next time you sweat heavily or get caught in the rain. I personally prefer Fiebing's (also from Tandy).
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ennelyn
Wayfarer

Post by Ennelyn »

Timber brown is the color I have tried to use, which doesn't show up to be anything like the samples they show in the store. For example, the quivers I recently made with them.
Not that they look horrible - in fact the first one I made, the larger one, one of my friends liked so much that he bought it off me - but I was going for an actual brown. I'm wondering if I get a darker brown, maybe from the brand you recommended, and redo it, if the red tint would show through.
Attachments
Quivers small.jpg
Quivers small.jpg (162.83 KiB) Viewed 17322 times
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Those are nice looking quivers!

As for the dye, part of the issue may be the leather itself. I've used Eco Flo a lot, and I've discovered that when the leather has ruddy undertones already, the final product has a reddish hue. However, when the leather is very... I dunno, grey, I suppose, the final product looks closer to a true brown. Personally I tend to use their medium brown antique gel, and I've had excellent luck with it. My own quiver was made using that dye, and I love the color it produced. You can see pics of that one here:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... CN2355.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... CN2342.jpg
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ennelyn
Wayfarer

Post by Ennelyn »

Love the color of that! Looks like I'll be making a trip to Tandy Monday.
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

Yeah- what they've said. Eco-flow is just too finicky for me. I like both the antique stains (for tooled stuff, especially) and Feibings Oil dye. Most Tandy leathers have a color board to look at, too.

And as stated before- slightly moist and warm-ish is wayyy better for an even color!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Manveruon, do you have a pattern for that quiver anywhere?? it's absolutely goorrrggggeeoouuusss.

I'm afraid I don't know much about dyeing leather either. I can't really get dye specifically for the purpose here, so is there anyway to make leather dye?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Dirhael wrote: I can't really get dye specifically for the purpose here, so is there anyway to make leather dye?
Try liquid shoe polish, it works almost as well.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks Dirhael! I unfortunately do not have a pattern - the project was kind of a one-off for me. But I might be able to make one for something like it someday.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

No problem. I shall closely study the picture, and attempt a similar design :)

Thanks for the info Pete!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ennelyn
Wayfarer

Post by Ennelyn »

Thanks for the info everyone - and Manveruon - I love the quiver.
But I do have another question. Is there something I can add to the leather to keep it from losing its shape if it gets wet in rain?
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

I treat my leather with Sno-seal and it works pretty well. There are several different leather waterproofing products out there. Depending on what you're making you can also wax harden it. That makes it very water resistant, and in general helps it keep its shape. Here's a good article on leather hardening http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/ ... t_Armr.pdf

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.