kit carrying options

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Re: kit carrying options

Post by Jon »

In terms of carrying a roll with the quiver, I've been planning to do this with a quiver I am currently making.

Essentially I have left a couple of 'flanges' on one side of the quiver. Then punched pairs of holes (grommets may be needed) so that I can basically secure things with leather lace - almost functioning as luggage straps.
It's nowhere near quick release (+ cumbersome in combat), but is really secure for travelling. You could certainly do it with belts, too which could work better, although I liked the more rustic feel and versatility of lacce ( I think maybe Greg did something like that on his?).

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Mine has slots for staps or lace to go through, much like yours, but I definitely use leather straps with buckles on them. Lace might be more versatile, this is true, but I use my belts to compress the roll tightly, which isn't something I can really do with lace. There's quite a load on mine most of the time, and I certainly don't want to risk it breaking. Whatever works for you will do the trick, as I'm not aware of any period examples of this...this really is just Middle Earth innovation.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Something similar can be seen in the 2010 Robin Hood film. As Robin and the gang are walking through the woods, right before walking up after Loxley is ambushed, the men are carrying their gear in rolls on poles (?) in the attached pic you can see Alain's pretty clearly. Hope this helps!

Ken

"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"