For those of you planing on meeting at Fairs/Wars this year.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

For those of you planing on meeting at Fairs/Wars this year.

Post by Peter Remling »

There have been numerous requests for Ranger garb pics, so #1 is to get plenty of shots you can always edit later.

I also recommend as individuals and as a group you plan scenes ahead of time and bring/make props accordingly. For instance, the one I'll be going to has a children's pony ride so I'm going to ask early in the season if they'll rent the pony for a few minutes early in the day for a shot to take place later in the season. I plan on taking some measurements the first time and if the answer is yes, I'll make a dummy pack saddle and we'll get a ladened pony with rangers shot headed for a waystation.

If you want to take a particular shot, let your party members know ahead of time. For instance if packs, bows, or spears are needed make sure everyone is aware or bring extras yourself. If the party is mixed: garbed, ungarbed or rangers and medieval armored make sure all members are involved either in the ranger scene or other scenes so all members feel part of the group. If as a group there are a lot of scenes to be done, spread them out through the day and plot out where the pics should take place prior to getting to the event. Plan on arriving at the event at least 45 minutes prior to opening. Getting dressed, meeting up and making that all important pit stop after a long ride will eat up the time quickly.

Last make sure your scenes arn't too involved or party members will become disinterested. You're all there to enjoy the Fair/War and each others company, have fun.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: For those of you planing on meeting at Fairs/Wars this year.

Post by Greg »

My girlfriend's grandpa here in this part of the country has a pair of horses I've been working with. One of them, Pepper, has become a good friend of mine, and I'm planning on asking him if he'll let me take her out on some of the trails near their small ranch. Naturally, garb would be in order, and photographs would be of greatest necessity. She's a shorter horse of unknown breed, but she's gorgeous. A perfect ranger horse; she loves to run, but her footfalls aren't too heavy, and has very natural browns, blacks, and large patches of grey along her sides. If things keep going how they are, I'll wind up going out as a solo ranger in a party of three on a fairly regular basis, once I've got my Falconry apprenticeship started up. A ranger, a horse, and a hawk. What a lovely tea party.

Again, photos will be of the utmost importance. You will all be kept well-informed.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.