A Little Help

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Alderic
Dúnadan

Re: A Little Help

Post by Alderic »

Perhaps you could try brass plating a steel or iron end cap. If you heat the metal enough and take a brass brush or brazing rod to it, the brass should melt and spread over it. I imagine you could use remnants of the bar you used if you have any.
Might be able to come up with more ideas if you put up a picture of what you've got so far. I've never seen the seax machete mid-project, only before after. I don't have a clue what you have for attachment options.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Sorry for the quality, cell phone pics, but here they are. All I did was cut a slot in the brass bar to slide it over the tang. Then when i got it to fit. i rounded the corners based on a quarter. I also cut the little hook off of the tang so it was straighter. Eventualy I plan on getting leather and stacking over it and im going to take a brass O, flatten the end a little, cut a slot in it for the tang, and pin it through the bottom hole of the tang.
Attachments
This is a pic of the tang and the crossguard not on it.
This is a pic of the tang and the crossguard not on it.
knife2.jpg (74.38 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
Heres a pic of the crossguard slid over the tang.
Heres a pic of the crossguard slid over the tang.
knife.jpg (61.82 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

Sounds solid, I was going to suggest doing the same with a cabinet knob. I figure it'd come out something like on this.
Or if you'd like a slightly different profile because the back of the pommel could dig into your hand...
I imagine the top one would be easier to do given what most cabinet knobs are shaped like, though I'm not incredibly fond of full pommels and tangs on knives, I find they get in the way. And I actually have the second knife. Really comfortable in the hand the way it's shaped.
All that being said, the most I've ever done to a knife is clean and sharpen...everything I'm going off is observation.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I never thtought of a cabinet knob, do they have solid brass ones though? And well "knife" is a loose term. This is the 18" sax machete so its pretty big, but not sword standard 8)
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

As far as I know most are solid as in not hollow, but your best bet to find what you're looking for would to to just go to a hardware store and look through them. They're usually loose or in clear plastic bags so you can see them well. They could be anything from one with a narrow stem to thicker/full. I don't see how you could use the first here in most cases, but the second would probably work well, though it may need a little modification.
Image Image
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I might just use a knob like that. Its perfect! Now I wonder how I could modify it so that I can attach to the tang