Ratings

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Ratings

Post by caedmon »

I'm working more on Ratings, I'm thinking of this for historical:

* * * * * = based on an extant historical object used by Rangers, foresters or huntmen

* * * * = based on an extant historical object -- or -- reasonable conjecture using historical methods that can be documented to be used by Rangers, foresters or huntmen

* * * = reasonable conjecture using historical methods

* * = yup kinda looks like it

* = fur bikini
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Ratings

Post by caedmon »

I'm thinking of something like this for Tolkien based:

* * * * * = directly attributable to something in the books or Tolkien's letters (e.g. Rohirrim armour based on Bayeux Tapestry)

* * * * = reasonable extrapolation from the books (items that are not really in the books but fit, like short swords in the woods)

* * * = It's not ruled out by the books... (Seaxes anyone?)

* * = Yeah, I did it my way.

* = fur bikini
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

If fur bikini remains the description for "*" across the board, I'm happy.

Though, I must be stingy and point out that we should re-describe the four-star Tolkien rating, as Isildur himself was told as wearing an "Eket", described as "...a short stabbing sword with a broad blade, pointed and two-edged, from a foot to one and a half feet long." Unless, of course, you're referring to arming swords, but I don't think you are since we seem to agree pretty well on the descriptions of Anduril. Just a thought.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Agree with Greg on the four star rating. Short swords, aka Ekat, are in the books although they appear to be from before or during the collapse of the North Kingdom since I do not recall any description of them in the LotRs or Hobbit..unless the comparison of sting of 'as good as a shortsword for a hobbit' is counted.

Otherwise, fine.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'd tend towards thinking an eket was longer than sting by a bit. I think Sting was referenced as a large dagger by men's standards, so the eket would wind up a bit larger than that, like your Gladius conversion project you talked about awhile ago.

My view of an eket is now forever slightly tweaked (in a good way) by Ken's description of it in the tales of Daffodil Underhill at the inn talking with a Ranger, so that I nearly referenced that here before remembering that the good professor didn't actually write that tale.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I was using the wording of sting to point out that shortswords were known in the Third Age, not comparing an Ekat to Sting. I see an Ekat as closer to a Gladius than anything else.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!