A question about packs.

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: A question about packs.

Post by dwayne davis »

A few simple well thought out choices in tools, enables you to do allot in the woods. A hand axe or tomahawk, paired with a large hunting knife can go along way to making a good shelter. Likewise things like dry beans, flour or cornmeal, a little dried meat can be suplamented with fresh game ( if youre inclined to hunt) also a good fishing kit provided youre lucky fisherman/woman. the same knife or hawk can supplament your main weapon. in time of need. food,water.shelter,( the means to construct shelter) shouldnt take a tone of equipment or a huge pack. Try to go for redundancy and multi purpose :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Here is a very interesting pack that is a bit expensive but looks like it could be put together for less:

http://www.celtsandvikings.com/catalog/ ... r-backpack

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

Wow. They are pretty proud of that equipment!! Kinda cool, but mighty involved for a minimalist Ranger sort of lifestyle~

I'm thinking I may build a small packframe for doing our Renaissance stuff- mostly as a place to stash stuff during the day, and add a bit to the camp's look. It would be a LOT less involved than that! I had an excellent article from a magazine called "the Dragon" from the same fella that does illustrations for the Osprey books, and it had tons of good stuff. I'll see if I can link his on-line version of the magazine or article.

BEstens!

Robert
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Looks like a derivation of the old Trapper Nelson packs before the use of aluminum frames. Kind of a cross between a transport frame and a pack. Nice combination thought. There is a lot to be said for a wooden 'H' frame too. Even Õtzis' pack had a wooden frame, although his was a 'U' shaped frame joined with two flat pieces of wood rather than an 'H'. There is also the old Halstadt salt hod, which uses more of an 'A' type frame.

Nice setup.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Certainly has a cool look to it and yes could be made and improved for less than 50 dollars. I have been wanting to play with this idea myself having been inspired by many of the "pack" ideas from Lotro and this thread. Perhaps I will give it a go! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

Right- so this is an amazing resource- here is the page for the magazine I mentioned before. Download them. Print them. LOVE THEM!!!!

Main page- http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/?q=en/Dragons

One with the packs and such in it- is a download only link for # 11- http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms ... gon-11.pdf

Every single one of these magazines is an amazing example of modern reenactment research, both amature and professional. ALso, Gary Embelton, who does illustrations and text for Osprey books and many, many others does a LOT of the work in them. Well worth the time to look them over. I have all of them printed out, and placed in a 3-ring binder because they are so very good. Many are in French and English, but some articles are in one or the other only.

Another personal favorite article is the one on lanterns and lights- I believe it's number 7 or 8...

Enjoy!!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

That is a good resource! Thanks for posting. I made a cylindrical pack similar to one of the illustrations a few years ago that was purposed for carrying or transport.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

sgainbrachta wrote:Right- so this is an amazing resource- here is the page for the magazine I mentioned before. Download them. Print them. LOVE THEM!!!!

Main page- http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/?q=en/Dragons

One with the packs and such in it- is a download only link for # 11- http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms ... gon-11.pdf

Every single one of these magazines is an amazing example of modern reenactment research, both amature and professional. ALso, Gary Embelton, who does illustrations and text for Osprey books and many, many others does a LOT of the work in them. Well worth the time to look them over. I have all of them printed out, and placed in a 3-ring binder because they are so very good. Many are in French and English, but some articles are in one or the other only.

Another personal favorite article is the one on lanterns and lights- I believe it's number 7 or 8...

Enjoy!!
Of course it should also be pointed out that along with Gerry Embelton, John Howe, one of the production designers for the PJ movies is one of the principal members of the Companie of Saynte George.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

You know, that's right! It's been so long since they had any presence I was aware of in the U.S. on the West coast... Indeed, the Compagnie is how I met him (Howe~) some years back- but I can't recall which event it was at. I want to say something in Southern California, but it could have been at Gibson Ranch in Northern California, too. Heh. Woulda been pretty cool to have kept in touch. Maybe coulda been workin' on the movies!! Ah well...

Still and all- some very cool stuff they do as a group, although I have heard that they are cut wayyy back in the reenactments they are doing, as now they spend a LOT of the time doing castle "day in the life" gigs. If I read it correctly, some of the members are basically making a living doing this stuff! Very cool!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

There are several examples of market wallets in those illustrations. Wallets are very easy to make and versatile for multiple time periods.
You can't take the sky from me.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

There is a pack option I don't believe I've seen mentioned here before, and that is a pack which is not in itself a pack, but made up of what you're carrying anyway. I've known it called a "Yukon" pack, and it's commonly used for portaging gear when canoeing and the like. If you're carrying a tarp, shelter, or ground sheet, that is used to wrap your clothing and other belongings, then secured with rope (or in my case, leather straps) and makes for a compact, comfortable, and waterproof "pack."

The advantage to this setup is that you're not really carrying anything that you wouldn't already (especially if you use rope), so you don't have the weight of the pack itself. The downside is that it's time consuming to assemble and getting at things inside requires taking it completely apart. However, for carrying camp gear or bedroll which will only be used when settling in for the night, or transporting across distance, it's a good option.
Attachments
Yukon1.JPG
Yukon1.JPG (202.18 KiB) Viewed 14695 times
Yukon2.JPG
Yukon2.JPG (198.51 KiB) Viewed 14695 times
Last edited by Odigan on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Odigan wrote:There is a pack option I don't believe I've seen mentioned here before, and that is a pack which is not in itself a pack, but made up of what you're carrying anyway. I've known it called a "Yukon" pack, and it's commonly used for portaging gear when canoeing and the like. If you're carrying a tarp, shelter, or ground sheet, that is used to wrap your clothing and other belongings, then secured with rope (or in my case, leather straps) and makes for a compact, comfortable, and waterproof "pack."

The advantage to this setup is that you're not really carrying anything that you wouldn't already (especially if you use rope), so you don't have the weight of the pack itself. The downside is that it's time consuming to assemble and getting at things inside requires taking it compeltely apart. However, for carrying camp gear or bedroll which will only be used when settling in for the night, or transporting across distance, it's a good option.
Great design; judging from the way I fold laundry, it would be a disaster for me.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

It's a solid design...I'm working on engineering my own version. I never was quite able to settle on a pack I'd be okay using...carrying a pack that didn't do anything but carry stuff always somehow bothered me. This one, made from your groundcloth or shelter tarp, I can get into.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.