My EATING KIT

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

My EATING KIT

Post by RikJohnson »

Eating kits should be Period BUT….
I have an old crock-pot into which I toss old beeswax candles which I then use to make bowstring wax blocks, line the inside of things and generally anything that need some protection, including to coat the inside of my drinking. As I mentioned before, I am hesitant to use those synthetic resins you find coating the Ren Faire mugs. The netsuke attached to the mug by a cord is to slip through my belt. I had a friend’s expensive mug stolen from her belt by someone who simply unclipped her equally expensive mug-holding latch.

I turned a wooden bowl into a noggin by adding a handle. Noggins are Period and easy to use and carry. Camping stores now sell noggins in plastic and stainless steel because they are making a comeback.

The plate is wood, BUT, I am hesitant about placing meat on the wooden plate for fear that I won’t be able to clean it well enough. Any ideas?

BTW, these plates, bowels, mugs came from various yard sales.

Cutlery was always a problem. The wooden spoon to the right I found at a yard sale but it didn’t meet my desires. The long fork & spoon in the center I forged myself, then replaced with a smaller and prettier set to the far left that I found at the Ren Faire. I brought home a suitcase of flint from a trip to England and traded a piece to a blacksmith for the smaller set to the left. Barter is always a good thing.

For cooking, I have a stainless steel camping pot which is safer than aluminum.
Last edited by RikJohnson on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: My EATING KIT

Post by Peter Remling »

I use wood and as long as you clean it, you won't have any problems. Yes it is porous and bacteria can form but if you have a decent immune system you should be fine.

(Personal Rant: If you use anti-bacterial soaps, get flu shots every year and antibiotics at the drop of a hat, your immune system will suffer and you will become more susceptible to bugs and viruses. Rant mode off )

You can scour your wood and metal dinner/cookware with sand and dirt, just rinse well to clean or your food will have a gritty texture.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

>>>>(Personal Rant: If you use anti-bacterial soaps, get flu shots every year and antibiotics at the drop of a hat, your immune system will suffer and you will become more susceptible to bugs and viruses. Rant mode off )

Fortunatly, I come from an age where parents were encouraged to allow their kids to eat dirt and held 'chicken-pox parties' so my immune system is pretty good.

>>You can scour your wood and metal dinner/cookware with sand and dirt, just rinse well to clean or your food will have a gritty texture.

I was also thinking of resanding the plate after every event or trip.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Cool eating kit! I actually just recently recieved some period cutlery with quality leather pouch for my birthday. I don't have any plateware yet, and instead use a small pot to eat out of, which isn't really my desire. The only thing I have for drinking is a canteen, and it's actually not in my possession yet, sadly it is on backorder.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Wood is perfectly fine for eating. Many chefs prefer wooden cutting boards because of the anti-bacterial properties.
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/cuttin ... odplas.htm
http://www.commonsensehome.com/wooden-cutting-boards/
I just spent 4 days eating out of a maple bowl with a wooden spoon, clean-up involved little more than a dash of water and a rag, never had any issues.
You can't take the sky from me.