Black Watch Ranger Game of Thrones

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Black Watch Ranger Game of Thrones

Post by Peter Remling »

This is a fan fiction vid I saw and thought some of you might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqdsMSkges
Khaehaub
Dúnadan

Re: Black Watch Ranger Game of Thrones

Post by Khaehaub »

That's so cool Peter! I'm on the fifth book of the series and I've been wondering what happened to Ben Stark. I always had thought he had turned into a Wight just as inferred in the video. Also the next George RR Martin book is coming out on October 29. It's called The Wits and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister. I'm not sure if it's the next a song of ice and fire book though.
May the best dwarf win... That still only counts as one!
~Gimli
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

That was well done, thanks for sharing, Ranger.
Hope they make the part 2.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very cool!
I have not even scratched the surface of the Game of Thrones series.
I started to read the first book long before the series ever came out but my interest list was too long and I could not press through.
My son said I would most likely not enjoy the series due to the intense amount of deceptive intrigue and the fact that every time you turn around the guy your rooting for the most buys the farm!
Ah well typical these days, but I am still going to see it, it has become an iconic cultural piece in this genre and to ignore it would to leave a large gap in the body of knowlege that makes up the things we so enjoy.

So...anyone have a viewing strategy for this phenom?
a. book first then movie?
b. Movie by itself then prerriferals?
c. Perriferal study on world and culture than a or b?

Sounds like a lot of work to be disapointed but then again my son said I would not enjoy Spaticus either.... :twisted:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Khaehaub
Dúnadan

Post by Khaehaub »

What I did Ringulf is I've started by reading the books first, then I started watching the tv series. The series is on hbo, but you can also buy the series if you'd like. The series follows the book very well, but there are some differences of course. I have the books on my kindle if you'd like to borrow them via Amazon.
~Gimli
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The Nights' Watch, the members of whom 'take the black' upon becoming members. The Black Watch is a military formation of the modern world.

My coffee mug has the Nights' Watch oath on it. My GoT 'T' shirt is the Nights' Watch.

Just a little obsessed...even though they don't take girls. Poor folk; some angry women would benefit them nicely.

;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Read the first book, watch season one. Read the second book and watch season 2. Up to this point it's relatively the same timeline.

While a lot of characters do die, they are generally ones that are not the best loved by either other characters or fans. The ones who do make it this far have a series of trials and tribulations that do alter the characters for the better.

Remember they are all players or pawns in the Game of Thrones.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I absolutely ADORE "A Song of Ice and Fire." I'm a moderate fan of the "Game of Thrones" show, but the books are by far my favorite. The thing about Martin is, he has a weird sort of moral code he always follows in his writing. Those who die or are put through something horrible are usually "deserving" of it, for one reason or another. Even if that reason is just being thick-headed. And despite popular opinion, he doesn't just kill everyone off, willy-nilly. Every single death he writes in that series is meticulously planned, and happens for a reason. Which is more than I can say about most authors.

That being said, you will still likely want to pitch the book across the room and/or kill it with fire upon multiple occasions. Three words: "The Red Wedding." Trust me.
Last edited by Manveruon on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Khaehaub
Dúnadan

Post by Khaehaub »

Oh yeah. After reading that, I was ready to throw the book. Instead I kept reading angrily until I got one of the greatest parts of that book.
~Gimli
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eledhwen wrote:The Nights' Watch, the members of whom 'take the black' upon becoming members. The Black Watch is a military formation of the modern world.

My coffee mug has the Nights' Watch oath on it. My GoT 'T' shirt is the Nights' Watch.

Just a little obsessed...even though they don't take girls. Poor folk; some angry women would benefit them nicely.

;)

Eledhwen
You're 100% right. I was looking at the responces when I just now saw what I wrote for the title. I always liked the look of the Scottish Black Watch Flintlock pistiol. Almost bought myself one of the firing replicas in the late 70's.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I happened upon Games of Thrones at a second-hand bookstore and VA Beach for my beach reading. I was hooked. It's my second favorite book series, with LOTR 1st and WOT 3rd. The twist and turns make it exciting. Losing who you thought were important characters adds to the anticipation of reading the next chapter. I frequently ask and theorize where is he (Martin) going with this story-line? I have re-read the series a couple times.

I tried watching an S1 episode of the show. I did not like the look or color of the sets and filming. I found that it deviated from a couple key scenes, in the spirit of certain characters. I tried again later in S2, but didn't make it through. I have said that PJ got way more right in the LOTR, and missed a few elements, but GOT misses too many for me, namely Daenerys. I DO like Tyrion, who I think is spot on.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

The books are more in-depth than the show. Many characters were left out of the HBO series. Still some others were added and other minor characters fleshed out more.
Both are enjoyable. Read the books/ watch the show...or visa versa, either way ....it would be worth your time.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, one thing I definitely have to say in favor of the show is that it makes Rob Stark a lot more interesting and likable than Martin did in the books. He was just sort of a stock character in the novels, but in the show he comes off as a real human being.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Ringulf, If you want to watch the series (or just about any TV series :mrgreen: ) Check out this website.

http://watchseries.lt/ This site basically gives a show list, then an episode list, then a link list to different links to watch that episode. I usually favor links to magnovideo, clicktoview, gorillavid, and mightyupload but you can have your own preference.

This is the specific link to Game of Thrones.
http://watchseries.lt/serie/game_of_thrones
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very cool, Thanks Sam!
I am almost done with the first season of "Arrow" and then I will be on to other things. This might be a good one to go to next! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: