For those dealing with this latest storm!!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kiriana
Haeropada

Re: For those dealing with this latest storm!!

Post by Kiriana »

Well South Carolina just had to celebrate tonight with a bang after this storm.. we had a 4.1 Earthquake at about 10:30pm. Was felt in NC as well as GA. My house shook. Felt like a shockwave passing through my livingroom. And we are about 80 miles from the epicenter that was in Edgefield, SC.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

You guys in the south really have been getting hammered this year. I think you've gotten just as many snow storms this year as we have up north. Just as bad too. I saw weather reports about how it was just as cold down in Georgia as it was here on the average day.
I heard nothing about the quake though.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Weird stuff happening here in the south lately.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

You folks stay safe.

Here in Massachusetts, western portion, the snow is a couple of feet deep on the level bits with banks and drifts over six feet high. Nothing unusual for a good New England Winter; I have seen them far, far worse.

Be of good cheer; the Sun is returning and She will sort things out in Her own good time. :) (Hobbits and Elves refer to the sun as 'She', and so do I.)

The mid-Spring point is near, only a few weeks away and the run to Summer commences in earnest.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Eledhwen wrote:You folks stay safe.

Here in Massachusetts, western portion, the snow is a couple of feet deep on the level bits with banks and drifts over six feet high. Nothing unusual for a good New England Winter; I have seen them far, far worse.

Be of good cheer; the Sun is returning and She will sort things out in Her own good time. :) (Hobbits and Elves refer to the sun as 'She', and so do I.)

The mid-Spring point is near, only a few weeks away and the run to Summer commences in earnest.

Eledhwen
I think Tolkien borrowed the sun as female from the Celts; the sun in Irish Gaelic is "Graine," and is a female noun.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

And the Japanese; the Sun is female for them, or was at one time. Actually, for a lot of early cultures the Sun was female, something that hasn't really filtered through to the modern age so easily.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

Eledhwen wrote:And the Japanese; the Sun is female for them, or was at one time. Actually, for a lot of early cultures the Sun was female, something that hasn't really filtered through to the modern age so easily.
Eledhwen
We're too Hellenistic in our thought: Helios and Selene, Apollo and Diana, etc.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."