Making Wool Clothing

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Making Wool Clothing

Post by Willrett »

Jas Townsend has wool for sale and it comes in one yard increments and is 72'' in wide. My question is would one yard be enough for a part of pants for my self I wear a 33w x 32l pants but I have no concept of stuff like this. I will be using basic patterns for pants, cloak and maybe a shirt, but I'm not sure how much I need.

If I dint make much since let me know and I will try to better explain.

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=673
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Making Wool Clothing

Post by Mirimaran »

Willrett wrote:Jas Townsend has wool for sale and it comes in one yard increments and is 72'' in wide. My question is would one yard be enough for a part of pants for my self I wear a 33w x 32l pants but I have no concept of stuff like this. I will be using basic patterns for pants, cloak and maybe a shirt, but I'm not sure how much I need.

If I dint make much since let me know and I will try to better explain.

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=673
I'd recommend following the pattern recommendations, but our rule of thumb is to buy more than what you need, because you never know what you might need extra material for. I've never made pants before, or used wool, so I can't help much more than that.

Edit- I would also recommend making the pants first out of something inexpensive, like cotton, as practice so that you don't waste more expensive material.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Well my mom and aunt used to own a craft store and made all kinds of stuffed things and outfits for them so I could get one of them to sew for me so I don't screw the good stuff up.

I will buy some cheaper stuff to practice on myself so I can learn to do it my self. I have very basic sewing skills.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Sounds like a plan then! We'll need to see pics, of course 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Rather than starting a new thread I figured I would add to this.

A cloak will be coming up soon ( I hope) my question is in the Rangers Apprentice they refer to the rangers cloaks a mottled (SP??) green and gray. Any idea how to do it?