Some kit I made.

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Some kit I made.

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Forgive the cell phone pic. Here is a thors hammer, a penannular broach and a shield I made recently.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6919 ... thwork.png

The shield is 21" in diameter made from 3/4 birch plywood, oil finished .The rawhide rim is from a yearling steer I killed for meat last winter. The components of the sheild were hand forged, nails, guige staples,which are not visible, the grip, also not visible, is hand carved oak.

The penannular was originally 1/4" round stock, which I squared and features some twist work and was finished by burnishing with a brass
brush, the pin also has some twist work. I have some pics of the broach on my cloak but those are on another camera and have to be developed on a disk before I can post them

The hammer is on its way to its new home in Idaho and features a tiny bit of twist work on the fold over for the neck thong. Like the Broach it is also burnished with a brass brush. My goal in this one was
to have a rustic charm like an amulet forged on a family farm somewhere in fjords 900 years ago.

The Wolf pelt is from Moscow Hide & Fur its part of my winter kit.

I hope you guys enjoy the pic, its not great but its the best I can do for now.

Well that wraps up my show and tell, tune in next time :lol:

~RD~
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Some kit I made.

Post by Mirimaran »

Color me impressed! Outstanding work, R.D. !
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I really like the pennanular that's outstanding!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Many thanks for the kind words, Gentlemen 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The pic comes in to my conputer a bit small, but from what I can tell, everything looks good. Too bad I need cash, or we could maybe talk trade, the seax for something from you.

P.S. I'm sanding on the handle of your seax as I type. Well, sorta.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Eric,

If you want to trade out for something, I would be more than willing...It might be pretty slow because my "open air shop" is at the mercy of an exceptionally wet August up here...I roll the forge out....get a fire going...it rains...I roll the forge back in...it quits raining so I roll the forge back out....Repeat.. its very athletic blacksmithing :lol: My forge is coming up on the 20,000 mile mark :lol: If you still want to trade on some work, drop me a line, I'll see what I can do. 8)

Edit: just re-read your post, no worries if the notion ever strikes you to trade on something let me know 8)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

LOL!!! Sounds a lot like my forge. All of your rains keep coming down here. No shop yet. My neighbor says he will have some landscaping timbers I can use to make a leanto. But he has to see how many his wife wants for the yard. I'll keep posting and we'll see if things work out for trades.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I'm glad to know I'm not alone! :lol:

I'm also looking forward to that wolfs claw 8)

Take care, buddy. If you ever need to "vent" just contact me,
together we just might manage to stay sane :lol: ....If we're not too
far gone already. lol.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~