Day kit

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Day kit

Post by RikJohnson »

Went for a day range... The overnight fell through so I did a brief wander.
Here is my day-kit:
Contains:
fry pan, noggin, cook pot, flatware, cup.
The fry pan is about 8" and came from a mexican booth at the swap meet.
I converted a wooden bowl to a noggin
The flatware came from the Ren-Faire where I traded some English flint for the set.
The cup is modified form one i found at a yard sale.
fletch kit.
All I figured that I would need would be a fletch kit, whet-stone, sewing kit, fishing kit, socks, candle and fire kit.
I AM working on a med-kit as soon as Shea gets her Doctorate. She is an ICU nurse and was a trauma surgeon with the Air Force and is a Medieval recreationist so rather than build one myself, I am having her create it.
Food, well ,my food is modern so I left it out of the pic.
I chose three tools, a 4" draw-knife, a wood chisel aka adze and a pry-bar. I;m working on a screwdriver.
Me ranging:
Here I am carrying my 45# longbow and Cold Steel Bastard sword and spear.
Later I changed to my Koblomovich broadsword that I modificd by removing mst of the guard, lengthening the tang and replacing the pommel. And that is rayskin on the handle.
Me and the Battle-Pug!
Claudia was going to go with but got sick, Maria took the pics and will be going with now that she knows how much fun it is.
I chose the Riparian area of Bear Wallow on Mt Lemmon as camping is banned there so I'd have room to move. Then a family drove in and parked right in the view and caused me to move.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Day kit

Post by Rifter »

nice day out
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Looks like a great time, and good call to go for a wander even though your over night plans fell through. Some great views and shots, thanks for documenting for us.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I had brought my winter cloak (yes, it is Arizona but when the monsoons arrive, they come with hailstones!) but Maria was in jogging-bra and shoprts so borrowed the cloak to keep warm!
I always prepare for the wrost amd if the road hgot flooded, I'd need to stay over so the hatchet and blanket and cloak for a temp-shelter.

Now Maria's bf wants me to teach hom some sword-play.
Maria is afraid that I may hurt the man. Really, his arms are larger than my chest!!!!!
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Great pics Rik!
Looks like you had a great day!
I truly enjoy your "Kit" pics and the way you put them together. I have learned alot from these and past groupings you have done.
I particularly love your feild fletching kit! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I thought about what tools I'd need...
A draw-knife instantly came to mind and one guy had one forged at the ren-Faire (or equal) I beleive. I liked it but the Faire isn't until Feb so I went to the local woodworkers supply store and purchased the smallest draw-knife I could find, then cut the handle down. I own a set of normal drawknives which are too big and bulky for the field.

I thought about a wood-chisel that could double as an adze and removed the handle form a chisel in my box.

The pry-bar was because I realized just how often I was using my dagger to pry something loose<g>.

These seem to cover about 90% of my field needs... And I've a LOT of experience in that as a Bare-Base Field Engineer withthe Air Force in multiple Third-World nations.

I go back-and-forth about a hammer. Rocks do not work as well as people say. But a small hammer-head that I can mount to a field-made handle may work. You do not need mass for most field work, just skill. Like a Foil is as dangerous as a Broadsword, it just takes a differnt set of skills to accomplish the same task.

After all, we are not building a castle, but a lean-to.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Would the back of a hammer poll hatchet not do fine for a hammer? Or do you need something more specialized?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Elleth wrote:Would the back of a hammer poll hatchet not do fine for a hammer? Or do you need something more specialized?
duh!1

Good point.
I'm not an axe/hatchet type person so tend to forget that my hatchet on my pack HAS a flat bit that is perfect for hammering things.