Captain,my Captain!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Captain,my Captain!

Post by Ringulf »

Much respect to Viggo! I wish elves felt the same way!

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Re: Captain,my Captain!

Post by bjaurelio »

Agreed. If Legolas' role was kept to a simple cameo in Mirkwood I would not have minded, and even enjoyed it. That would have even made some sense as he would likely be there but not important enough for the story to be a named character in the Hobbit, which focuses on Bilbo's development has he travels on the quest with the dwarves. As soon as they had him in Laketown they took it way too far. In that regard, having Legolas come rescue the dwarves from the spiders ruined a critical part of Bilbo's character progression.

I could go on, but I'll stop with much respect for Viggo who in the process of making Lord of the Rings was a voice for minimizing changes and focus on special effects to stay true to Tolkien.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Viggo seems like a great person, very thoughtful and artistic. He seemed like he really came to respect Tolkien's work, and I am not surprised he said no to their offer on a cameo in The Hobbit. I liked the first movie, the second one... just... um... I... Oh, man. I didn't like it and noticed my fiance and I were both tapping our feet and shifting around, waiting for the movie to end. The Trilogy was great, in movie compared to book terms... The Hobbit, well it's just Hollywood, and very dissapointing.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

ya we gotta respect Viggo for this, i also read that he liked fellowship more than the other 2 because they got to computer graphic oriented. another like for him from me on that topic. and when i found out(long ago) that when first cast he took his sword everywhere to get use to it being part of him i was just floored by his commitment to the character . much respect for him.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'm with him on pretty much every front.

Film 1 was the best, wearing your sword everywhere all the time is the only way to go if you want to feel/look natural with it, and Aragorn had no place in the Hobbit film. The only thing I would've been okay with would've been a tag at the end of the credits of film 3, he and Gandalf chatting in the prancing pony, and Gandalf sending him off after Gollum. Would've been a cute 2-minute tie-in, but PJ wouldn't have left it at that.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Yeah I too have been dismayed at the new trilogy. Viggo is the man. Our Brother, Our Captain, Our King. There's another part of that poster that says 'that's integrity' and then a shot of Legolas from film 2 and a quote 'Right Orlando?' Also Aragorn is how old during the Hobbit, if it takes place 60 years before or such...Viggo is good but I don't want to see him playing a 20 something
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

Hail Lord Aragorn! I love his commitment it shows he's not like Orlando or PJ willing to just destroy something just to make a buck.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Anybody know how to get him on the site? 8) That would be cool.

Edit: I hate typos
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

While I don't doubt he's the kind of guy who would write a nice online letter thanking ranger fans such as us I don't think he life allows for a lot of time to pop in here. Would be nice to make him an honorary member though. Get a nice plaque and present it to him or David Wenham...the star wars groups do it all the time
Greg

Post by Greg »

If we were going to do something like that...

I'd be pretty keen on doing something that clearly shows a respect for BOOK authenticity over film-authenticity...something to show our appreciation for his fighting for adherence to the books wherever possible...like a customized Eket, or something similar that says "Dunedain Culture" more than it says "LOTR Fanboy" like a plaque.

Just me. We certainly have the technology to do such a thing around hereabouts.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I think that can work fine for authors but Viggo appears in the films and we know there are differences. Having done a few of these if your recognizing a performer for their contribution to something it's better to cite the performance. If it was a writer then for sure, if it's an actor then he really didn't have any say in how different from the book it was
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sorry if I confused you...I meant to say that we'd be trying to show appreciation for Viggo's contribution to the films themselves through his attempts to stay as close to the books as possible. Either way, it'd be a fun project.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Oh yes my mistake. Yeah that's integrity. I'm sure he'd love to play him again but that common sense pops in.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Folks might want to read this article, http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/05 ... t-so-fast/

The rumor of Viggo turning down an offer to play Arragorn in the Hobbit seems to be kind of taken out of context and turned into something it really wasn't.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK all these articles are fair rebuttal to the initial statement of him reprising or refusing the role, but I don't see him jumping at the same gratuitous filler crap as Orlando. He said if it made sense, I still feel his honor is intact and until I see him leaping around the screen of the battle of five armies as a 20 something Gondorian or Rohanish mercernary, I still hold firm to Captain, Brother and king! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: