New frying pan

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

New frying pan

Post by wulfgar »

I just received my new frying pan today. I ordered it off of eBay for $20 shipped. It has a folding handle with a socket for an extension.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171363572534
I'm cleaning it with boiling water and also boiling some water in it on the stove, it has some oil on it for shipping.
The god was waiting for me to magically dump bacon out.

I hope to get a review of it's performance over some nice hot coals soon.
You can't take the sky from me.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: New frying pan

Post by Greg »

That appears to be a perfect match for Sam's referenced frying pans, albeit smaller than I'm sure his were, for a ranger's purposes!

I like mine, but...I'm SORELY tempted. It just fits more perfectly...and you can't argue with a direct out-of-book reference like that. Thanks for the link! Hope you enjoy it! At that price...*sigh* Dag nabbit.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I have something similar that I got from a Chinese market- it's got the hollow handle for a stick or pole, but is more rounded (wok-like).
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Stormraven »

Great looking pan. I've been looking into those as well. Just received an early period Lancer's wine bottle off Ebay today. This one is crockery all the way through and has no stamped markings. Will do well for the "pale yellow wine" mentioned at Henneth Annun.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Great score, wulfgar!
However, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have to say it...Sam never carried a folding-handle frying pan (that we know of—at least based on the sole passage that describes his setup)
“All hobbits, of course, can cook, for they begin to learn the art before their letters (which many never reach): but Sam was a good cook, even by hobbit reckoning, and he had done a good deal of the camp-cooking on their travels, when there was a chance. He still hopefully carried some of his gear in his pack: a small tinder box, two small shallow pans, the smaller fitting into the larger; inside them a wooden spoon, a short two-pronged fork, and some skewers were stowed; and hidden at the bottom of the pack in a flat wooden box a dwindling treasure, some salt." (TTT 292).
Not that I think folding-handle frying pans are at all un-hobbity, but all we can definitely say about his pans are that:
*they were shallow;
*one was larger than the other; and
*they nested together with enough space to hold a spoon, fork, and some skewers.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg

Post by Greg »

I swear I read about a folding handle somewhere. We've discussed it before here...*gah*. Gotta go find that, now.

If you're right, I'll be over it in no time...but I'll be concerned about the status of my memory, and perhaps mental state.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alrighty, there have been dozens of discussions here on the boards regarding folding frying pans, both cast-iron and other, but I have come across absolutely no book references.

I can add this to the list of things that have been beaten to death so much based on practicality that they somehow in-mind morphed into 'canon'. Poop.

Well, then I suppose I don't need to rush out and buy one of these, since I'm already technically 100% with my current frying pan. Good thing, too...there are things higher on my needs list. Thanks for setting the record straight.