Beef tallow

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Udwin
Vendor

Beef tallow

Post by Udwin »

Howdy all,
My family recently butchered a cow, and from her I was able to procure about fifteen pounds of suet. Rendered and purified tallow is handy for all sorts of stuff--lubricating tools, preventing rust, making pemmican, soap, or just giving leather a good honest patina. Now, fifteen pounds is a lot of tallow, so I'm throwing this out there to you folks first, to see if anyone would be interested and could use some.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Beef tallow

Post by Manveruon »

This is awesome, but I suspect there is nothing pressing for which I could use it before it went rancid, unfortunately.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Manveruon wrote:This is awesome, but I suspect there is nothing pressing for which I could use it before it went rancid, unfortunately.
Ahh, but that's the beauty of it. As a hunk of fat fresh out of the cow, sure, it'll go bad pretty quick. But once it's rendered, purified, and put in an appropriate container (like a sealed mason jar), it has a long shelf life. Six months if kept in a cool, dark place; a year in the 'fridge; perhaps two years in the freezer!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'd be on the interested list.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Udwin, do you still have any of this?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Yep, I have about 10 pounds of not-yet rendered&purified tallow still in the freezer.