Walking Stick

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Walking Stick

Post by BrianGrubbs »

A friend of mine recently brought me a walking stick, with the request that I put a lanyard on it so that he would have to set it down all the time while he was walking. Now I could have simply done that, but what fun would that be? Instead I added a leather grip, and a hand forged steel end spike. Made me think of the staves that Faramir gave to Frodo and Sam in Ithilien, with the bottoms shod with iron and, if I remember correctly, wrist loops.
Either way, I had fun making it. I've only recently started forge work, and this was my first attempt and an end spike. I like the way it turned out, and I will be making one for myself soon.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Walking Stick

Post by Manveruon »

Beautifully done!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I completely forgot about that reference. The gems this forum brings to light continue to impress.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Nice walking stick. Their sticks also had an iron ring in them and the lanyard was attached to that. I've always wanted a stick like that,,tried to do it with a split brass ring but it just didn't seem to fit right.
You can't take the sky from me.