Score of the year

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Score of the year

Post by Greg »

Couldn't help but brag. Several weeks ago (I've neglected to post for busy-ness reasons and general forgetfulness) I found what is quite possibly the secondhand store score of the year, if not decade.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is by my estimate over 200 cedar 11/32" arrow shafts.

They were discovered in a local consignment shop.

For ten bucks.

Yes, I am aware that life is not fair. Sorry. :evil:

Net worth puts that at an enormous markdown, but there they were, still wrapped partially in brown paper and steel shipping straps, with zero wiggle room. As in NONE missing from the original shipment.

To that end...I need to get on making a homebrew spine tester (I'm pretty sure I've read that Eledhwen has made one), and start sorting these out. *squeals like child with delight*

Feel free to use this thread to brag about other weapon/armor (applicable forum) finds. Try to beat mine, I dare you. I know we've got some hard-core thrifters in here.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Score of the year

Post by Eledhwen »

Here on site is a set of directions for making a good spine tester. I had bought one already, so no, I did not make mine. Mmm, I think there is a reference to it in that how-to I did on fletching some years back. Might have been Caedmon who posted it.

That was an outstanding score, my friend. No quibbles with almost free stuff. :)

Enjoy!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Awesome score!! This is why I've never gambled.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I think it may have been Cinead who posted it.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg

Post by Greg »

It was. Found the thread...but his links are all dead. He used a dial indicator from harbor freight, but the instructions are lost. Google, here we come.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

WOW!

Yeah, can't beat that! Best I've done is a worn out wool blanket for scrap.

Looks like you've got a lot of fletching to do this season. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:Looks like you've got a lot of straightening to do this season. :)
Fixed that for you.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Greg wrote:It was. Found the thread...but his links are all dead. He used a dial indicator from harbor freight, but the instructions are lost. Google, here we come.
Poor Folk Bows has directions for a spine tester.

Awesome find, btw!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alright, here's a start.

This shows construction and use for compound bow applications, where minimum flex is desired and they're simply finding the stiffest side to align the cock feather/nock with. As for calculating spine using this tool for wood arrows on bows without centershot risers...
Texasarchery.org wrote:You can use the raw deflection measurement [from your dial indicator] itself, for example .436 inches. Or you can compute the spine using the formula 26/deflection in inches=spine, which is 26" [inches between two suspended points along arrow shaft, ie. brackets] divided by the dial indicator's deflection measurement = Spine weight. For example, 26 divided by .436 equals 59.6. You can express the spine of that shaft as .436 inches or as 59.6 "pounds" [draw weight]. It doesn't matter whether you express the spine (stiffness) of the arrow in inches, pounds or light years. As long as you use the same method consistently, you will get the right arrows for your bow. If your bow shoots best with arrows of spine "X" (inches, pounds, light years, whatever), build your arrows with shafts of that spine.
Annotations added by myself for clarity. That should do 'er. Spine tester for about 25 bucks.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Sweet Deal and Rangy's looking on.