Museum Replicas Viking Leather Drawstring Pouch w/coins

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Museum Replicas Viking Leather Drawstring Pouch w/coins

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

Last weekend MRL offered their Viking Leather Pouch with coins as a deal of the day (10 bucks!) so I thought to get it and see how it was. I had been wanting coins anyway as part of the kit, and for another project. The pouch is of a thick leather, accordian style, and has what appears to be a period Viking shoestring as a drawstring :) Something easily replaced, to be sure. The bag is about 10 inches round, and has a depth of 3 1/2 inches, according to the product description. The included coins are metal, and are the same design but colored silver and gold. They have a nice weight, and the bag reminds me of the scene in The 13th Warrior where a bag of coins is thrown to pay for Angus' death :) "See to your friend, he was a brave man."

The bag retails on the site for 20 dollars. The design is easily reproduced, and I think personalized to the owner. Here are some pics:

The site link for the product:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-2901-vi ... coins.aspx

Comments and questions welcome!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Museum Replicas Viking Leather Drawstring Pouch w/coins

Post by Udwin »

Cool! From MRL's upclose pictures, I'm assuming the coins aren't copies or based on an actual extant coin? The design kind of looks like a stylized mountain (Erebor?) to me. It'd be really nice if they sold extra coins separately without the pouch, I would probably pick some up.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

From what I can tell, I think the coins are in the style of Viking coins, not actual reproductions, but what is there is a cross quarter with symbols and on the back is a ship. I am not sure if they sell coins seperately, but the Jelling Dragon does:

http://www.jelldragon.com/coins.htm

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

'We will miss angus tonight, we will miss his sword'

Not a bad little item indeed, works
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Udwin wrote:Cool! From MRL's upclose pictures, I'm assuming the coins aren't copies or based on an actual extant coin? The design kind of looks like a stylized mountain (Erebor?) to me. It'd be really nice if they sold extra coins separately without the pouch, I would probably pick some up.
I agree. I would pick up the coins just for part of my kit. Jelldragon might not be bad to pick up a few sets from time to time. I know someone who had several hundred coins (about dime sized) struck to commemorate an event. I might need to see where she got them for her husband.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Neat!

Some "pocket change" would be quite nice.
AntiquaNova makes some fantastic classical era coins, but all their European ones are from Central Europe and points east, which doesn't work quite so well.

At some point now that the fella's gotten a crucible set up for his forge, I'd like to get back to the "Bree Silver Penny" project.
So many things ahead of it though. Ahhh! If we had the lifespan of elves, we could do this right. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.