2016 Yuletide Gift Exchange

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: 2016 Yuletide Gift Exchange

Post by Greg »

FYI, there's no such thing as not good enough here. :mrgreen:

*mic drop*
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Manveruon wrote:I'm actually freaking out a little (a lot), because I am not NEARLY far enough along on mine, and I don't know how I'm going to make up for lost time, being as busy as I have been lately. There's also the problem that I am now completely second-guessing my decision of what to make in the first place, feeling like it's all wrong, not good enough, etc. BAH. I'm going to try to get it together quickly... hopefully. Gah.

Yep, you're an artist. Stop second guessing yourself unless it is CERTAINLY wrong. You do great work. From experience, even if your recipient has to wait a little, it'll be worth it in the end. I'm finally getting back into woodworking and I'll be making a frame for my piece from last year soon.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

I have phase 1 complete - the featured centerpiece of the gift and now have to figure out what I am doing for phase 2. I hope to finish up this coming weekend and get it in the mail next week. Maybe. Don't hold your breath though.

Brandwyn
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Last edited by Yavion on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm sure that, given the circumstances, your recipient will understand. Hope the eyes start doing better soon!
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

If folks are wondering when to plan on sending/opening gifts, here's how Shire-reckoning matches up with our Gregorian calendar:
YULETIDE is a six-day long midwinter celebration, encompassing the last three days of the old year, and the first three of the new year; the middle two days (what we would call New Year's Eve and New Year's Day) are the holiday proper (Yule I & Yule II).
So 29 Yulemath, 30 Yulemath, I Yule, II Yule, 1 Afteryule, 2 Afteryule. Because this is a Leap-year, Mid-Year's day was June 20, and so the Yuletide begins December 18 and runs through the 23rd.
Or, since a picture is worth a thousand words:
Attachments
yuletide.png
yuletide.png (16.07 KiB) Viewed 13385 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Ha, I am feeling the pressure as well. I've had some setbacks, but it is at the point where it looks like the thing it is meant to be. Going to log some serious work hours this weekend. Cheers, all!
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Udwin wrote:If folks are wondering when to plan on sending/opening gifts, here's how Shire-reckoning matches up with our Gregorian calendar:
YULETIDE is a six-day long midwinter celebration, encompassing the last three days of the old year, and the first three of the new year; the middle two days (what we would call New Year's Eve and New Year's Day) are the holiday proper (Yule I & Yule II).
So 29 Yulemath, 30 Yulemath, I Yule, II Yule, 1 Afteryule, 2 Afteryule. Because this is a Leap-year, Mid-Year's day was June 20, and so the Yuletide begins December 18 and runs through the 23rd.
Or, since a picture is worth a thousand words:
Yulemath 29 is my birthday, precious!
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alright, so where Udwin's post places us this year is that you have two options (for schedule flexibility). You are welcome to plan on opening your gift and telling us about it on either Wednesday, the 21st, or Thursday, the 22nd (exceptions welcome and understandable). Please make sure you are aware of crazy holiday shipping delays, and have your gifts en route in time to be there. Looking forward to this!

I wrapped mine up today. Folks might start wanting to watch their doorsteps late next week.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

(Groaning) Well, a part that I was waiting for came in. It's going to be tight for me this year to get it finished in time. :cry: But I will press on and hope the recipient understands.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I believe in you!
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

Our items went in the mail this morning! Be on the lookout on or around Tuesday.

Ringulf and Brandwyn
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Some doorstep will be graced (for good or ill) by a package this coming Monday, assuming USPS knows what they're talking about.

Be advised, one and all, regardless of who is sending you something, there is no guarantee that the gifting party has sent you a box with a gift-wrapped package contained inside. I'd advise erring on the side of caution, and not opening any layer of your package until the 21st/22nd to avoid spoiling the surprise until the appropriate date.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Greg wrote:Some doorstep will be graced (for good or ill) by a package this coming Monday, assuming USPS knows what they're talking about.

Be advised, one and all, regardless of who is sending you something, there is no guarantee that the gifting party has sent you a box with a gift-wrapped package contained inside. I'd advise erring on the side of caution, and not opening any layer of your package until the 21st/22nd to avoid spoiling the surprise until the appropriate date.
Actually, yeah, that is really good advice, especially for those who see "Brandwyn"(Estella Brown) or "Ringulf" on their packages. they are not wrapped in anything beyond the shipping box!
Last edited by Ringulf on Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Mailed out this afternoon - should arrive Wednesday (if USPS can be believed).
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)