Hi beorning here!

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

tygerphlyer

Hi beorning here!

Post by tygerphlyer »

Hi

I'm kinda new here. I've been reading the forum forever but this might be the first time I've posted.
If i wanted to have as my persona a Beorning ranger what would I research for that?
The children of beorn the skin changer are documented in a limited context and it's known that beorn himself would patrol his woods and defend against goblins and other undesirables. Akin to a ranger. So I'm looking to impersonate a large man in homespun clothing with simple weapons who spends half his time tending his farm and half his time patrolling his woods.
How does that sound? How do I do that? What would that guy look like?
Asbjorn
Dúnadan

Re: Hi beorning here!

Post by Asbjorn »

Welcome^^

My persona is kinda similar that ima beorning but grew up with a family of rangers.

My backstory:
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =19&t=4470
"Few now remember them... yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless." Tom Bombadil on Rangers
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Welcome!

Based on your impression ideas, it sounds like you might want to take a look at the Beorning woodsman kit Udwin has put together. The references he cites should get you started!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Howdy tygerphlyer, it's great to hear someone else has taken an interest in the Beorning culture. Working the homestead and patrolling the lands around it is a perfect fit for a Beorning. My suggestion would be to avoid using the word 'Ranger' to describe the impression, as Ranger is a Eriador-based, Dunedain-specific 'occupation', and not a 'character class'. But the work of keeping one's lands safe is applicable to many cultures. Perhaps you could see if there is a Norse or Gothic term for such activities and use that?

As Taurinor said, most of my research on the Woodmen and Beornings is included in my Complete Kit on the MERWiki, although I will warn you that writeup was completed in ~2014 and early 2015, and much of my kit has evolved since then.
Keep an eye on the MERS page(or shoot us a subscription email) as I'm doing a short piece on dressing a Beorning (including a tunic pattern) in our next newsletter.
If you have any questions about anything, shoot me a message!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Welcome!
Frodo lives!
tygerphlyer

Post by tygerphlyer »

Thank you all so very much! I'm already reading the wiki and I'm very excited about Urdwen's entry. I'm not tech so everything will take some time but I plan on getting more involved
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome to the forum :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
The Riff Wizard
Wayfarer

Post by The Riff Wizard »

Welcome! I just joined a few days ago myself.
“He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved.”
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Hail Beorning! Welcome!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Welcome to you berascin. May your hives always prosper.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.