Eofor, exile of Rohan T.A. 2982

From Numenor to Far Harad...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Eofor, exile of Rohan T.A. 2982

Post by Eofor »

Obviously everyone's kit is a work in progress but this one is getting close to where I want it to be so I thought it might be good to share it for feedback.

For those who haven’t followed along with the tale of Eofor of the Black Tusk here is an outline of what I am trying to achieve.

Despite having mulled over many options for this portrayal, my heart has always been in Rohan, but I have no horse, don’t really want a horse and have no intention of getting a horse!
Therefore for my own peace of mind I had to come up with a plausible storyline as to why a man of Rohan (who by the time of the war of the ring are quite closeted) would be out in the wide world wandering around horseless.

I drew on Anglo Saxon culture to broaden the vision of Rohan that the Professor gave us and looking at the text found the example of Baldor and his rash boast which led to his death on the paths of the dead.
These formalised boasts were not uncommon in Anglo Saxon society and were considered sacrosanct so I built a storyline whereby my persona through his own boastful pride ended up in self imposed exile until his task was done.

Eofor was born in 2941TA and left Rohan quite young. He has no fixed abode and lives primarily in an inn called The Ravens Wing in the foothills of the misty mountains near the home of the woodmen.
Because of this I have built his gear somewhat different to that of a ranger or wanderer - He may spend weeks at a time on the road but while comfortable in the wilderness he doesn’t live in it.
Nor does he often need to stalk through the forest unnoticed so his gear is more colourful and flamboyant. He is well off and has clothing made of fine weave and valuable accessories.

Already possessing a few sets of Anglo Saxon clothing the goal was to introduce some clearly Middle Earth elements to the historical garb such as a hooded cloak, high boots etc.
I’m not posting any pics of my camping set up as there’s nothing new or innovative there. I’ll put some up once I do a camp in kit.

So here it is, it’s still very much a work in progress (especially the boot lacing) but feedback and criticism welcome.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Eofor, exile of Rohan T.A. 2982

Post by Cimrandir »

I love it! Very well done!

The red tunic is a wonderful splash of color and quite appropriate I feel for Rohan. Is it naturally dyed? I've been considering making a second tunic in a muted dark red color similar to the one that Film Aragorn wears in Edoras but I wasn't sure how to go about it.

The cloak is very nice. Wool I assume? Or considering the Australian clime, linen?

I'll admit that the sword is kinda throwing me. Considering the Anglo-Saxon theme, I hadn't expected a later period sword with the long cross-guard and scent-stopper pommel. The Coppergate(?) helmet fits perfectly though!

Those are interesting boots! Any particular find they are based on? Are they turnshoes? I can't quite make it out.

That pipe is awesome! Perfectly carved. Where did you find it? I also appreciate seeing Gulli's work in your kit. ; )

I was wondering even with Eofor wandering around horseless, I always figured that the horse was a pretty standard cultural motif and I would assume that even an exile would want some ties back to his homeland. Save for your knife, it looks like horses are absent from your kit. Was this a conscious decision or just not that important?
Last edited by Cimrandir on Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Brilliant 👏
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Stunning impression, my friend. Excellent work.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Outstanding!

I see that you have a helmet, but I thought of you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264810166369?_ ... %3A2334524

That's a great price.

Can you give more info on your axe?
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Great kit!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:44 pm I love it! Very well done!

The red tunic is a wonderful splash of color and quite appropriate I feel for Rohan. Is it naturally dyed? I've been considering making a second tunic in a muted dark red color similar to the one that Film Aragorn wears in Edoras but I wasn't sure how to go about it.

The cloak is very nice. Wool I assume? Or considering the Australian clime, linen?

I'll admit that the sword is kinda throwing me. Considering the Anglo-Saxon theme, I hadn't expected a later period sword with the long cross-guard and scent-stopper pommel. The Coppergate(?) helmet fits perfectly though!

Those are interesting boots! Any particular find they are based on? Are they turnshoes? I can't quite make it out.

That pipe is awesome! Perfectly carved. Where did you find it? I also appreciate seeing Gulli's work in your kit. ; )

I was wondering even with Eofor wandering around horseless, I always figured that the horse was a pretty standard cultural motif and I would assume that even an exile would want some ties back to his homeland. Save for your knife, it looks like horses are absent from your kit. Was this a conscious decision or just not that important?
Okay I'll answer in turn
Firstly thankyou for the praise!

I felt colour was one of the important differences between a road traveler and a woodsman, and yes I really love the colour palette of WETA's Rohan. This particular tunic isn't plant dyed as it's one of my old ones when such things weren't as important to me. I do have some particularly fine madder dyed diamond twill here if you would like a peek.

The cloak is a Roman Paenula done in a lightweight wool which is warm but not hot. You are correct in the climate here, even with the light wool it's definitely a winter or shoulder season garment. It is plant dyed and fully hand stitched.

Ahhhh the sword.... Well Eofor has been abroad many years and has had to adapt to non mounted combat......
Seriously though I have a very, VERY fine sword on it's way which will be unveiled in due time. I sold my old migration period sword to fund part of it and for now have to rely on other swords to hand. Although Eofor has been starting to embrace the hammer more and more since those half breed armoured trolls began appearing down south.

The boots are Boots by Bohemonds 'Medieval Boots' based on a 14th century design. He sent me the wrong ones by mistake but when the high turn shoes I originally ordered showed up I found I preferred these. Modern sole though which I'm not happy about.
https://boots-by-bohemond.myshopify.com ... eval-boots

The pipe a custom by Eclesia's pipes. He does some pretty amazing work, his Dwarven themed pipes are particularly nice.
https://www.facebook.com/EclesiaPipemaker

My kingdom for a..... boar? Finally to the subject of horses.
Eofor means 'Boar' in old English and he seems to have adopted it as a personal insignia. It wasn't a conscious decision to exclude horses from my gear and i'm putting them in where I can but where I do I am trying to put them on the smaller more personal items. The crest on my wollaston helm is removable so I plan to make a horse one that fits in place of the boar and i plan to engrave the Tods stuff folding knife too.
My knife is obvious but the pipe has horses on both sides and the Rohan sunburst motif around the bowl

Last edited by Eofor on Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Blackthorn wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:34 pm Brilliant 👏
Thank you Blackthorn, welcome to the forums.

Greg wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:02 pm Stunning impression, my friend. Excellent work.
I am humbled by your praise Greg, thankyou.

Harper wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:05 pm Outstanding!

I see that you have a helmet, but I thought of you:

Can you give more info on your axe?
Thankyou Harper! I have plans for my helm to make it more themed, I just need a few spare hours to make them happen.

The axes in my belt are Francisca throwing axes. These ones are made by Hanwei but are excellent value being both of good weight and profile for such axes. They are scary scary things and far more suited to Eofors style of fighting than a bow. I will try and get a video of them being used if you have interest in such things?

Taylor Steiner wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:04 am Great kit!
Thank you Taylor, It was about time I stopped lurking especially with new Rohirrim profiles starting to pop up.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Eofor wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:23 am Thankyou Harper! I have plans for my helm to make it more themed, I just need a few spare hours to make them happen.

The axes in my belt are Francisca throwing axes. These ones are made by Hanwei but are excellent value being both of good weight and profile for such axes. They are scary scary things and far more suited to Eofors style of fighting than a bow. I will try and get a video of them being used if you have interest in such things?
Thank you.

When you get the time, a video of them would be appreciated.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I've been away from the internet for a few weeks and what a post to miss, Eofor you're kit is amazing :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:30 am I've been away from the internet for a few weeks and what a post to miss, Eofor you're kit is amazing :P
It's still in its early stages Iodo! I need a lot more small touches. Pocket junk!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

it still looks good to me :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.