A Ranger's Bedroll

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mg2Arnor
Wanderer

A Ranger's Bedroll

Post by mg2Arnor »

Hail, fellow rangers. For those that carry a bedroll, how do you - well - carry it? Do you roll it up and attach it to something else? Do you have a carrying system attached to it? Do you run a belt or rope through it? Also, do you normally carry it diagonal across the back, or has anyone carried it horizontal on the back? This is definitely aimed at perfecting the carry of the bedroll, but if you want to throw-in or discuss what your bedroll contents are, that is welcome also. Thanks so much, rangers.
Calenthir - Dunedain Ranger of the late 3rd Age
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: A Ranger's Bedroll

Post by Greg »

Several options on that topic!

I think the general populous definitely carries it horizontally across the back, unless it's strapped to the top of a backpack. You can certainly run a strap/tumpline through it; I've done that comfortably many times! I'm more partial to the horseshoe roll, though, which makes it roll up skinnier, so there's less bulk across your back/by your head, and I feel that it spreads the weight out over a greater range.

More on the topic found HERE.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That reminds me... Greg, I tried a horseshoe roll a while back, and finally got it to kinda work: the difference being that I was playing with a 19th-c haversack and canteen instead of medievallish stuff - so hence no quiver. What order do you put things on: horseshoe then quiver, or vice versa? If quiver's underneath: how long is your blanket, and how much other stuff are you rolling up in it these days?

To the original question, I'm still using a tumpline solution. Here's some experiments I did a few years ago:

A Tale of Three Burden Straps...

... I've since given the simplest one a modern leather treatment (it was getting REALLY dry and I was afraid of rot, so I cheated) but otherwise continue to use as is.
related: I've been meaning to sew a spine on the center of my blanket cover to bind all the straps and keep them from getting lost/making a mess. Maybe this winter things will slow down enough I can do that.

On option two I cut off the "tails" as I just hated how they worked. I've since cut the strap in two pieces for a snapsack strap (though I haven't added a buckle yet, so that project's in limbo).

The third I don't have the heart to cut up, but it's just too chunky/heavy to really use.

Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Skip to time mark 6 mins 40 secs to see some other ways to carry one:

https://youtu.be/UciN9nbCfW0

These don't address a back quiver though.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:12 am That reminds me... Greg, I tried a horseshoe roll a while back, and finally got it to kinda work: the difference being that I was playing with a 19th-c haversack and canteen instead of medievallish stuff - so hence no quiver. What order do you put things on: horseshoe then quiver, or vice versa? If quiver's underneath: how long is your blanket, and how much other stuff are you rolling up in it these days?
I wear the horseshoe OVER the quiver. Lately, all I ever roll up in the horseshoe is cold weather stuff that won't be needed until sleeping, like extra socks, knit gloves, maybe a scarf or a wool over-tunic. Usually not all of that...but those are the best examples I could think of. Everything else fits so well in the snapsack there's no need for hard kit to go into the roll.
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

Greg, thanks for linking to that edition of Edge of the Wild. There is a lot of good stuff there. Elleth, your article gave me some better insight into the strap/tump line method and I appreciate it. Harper - The video you shared was very useful too. That presenter made some good points for how to roll up your gear. Just out of curiosity, what do you use to secure/close up your horseshoe roll, Greg?
Last edited by mg2Arnor on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

I'm personally leaning to using a strap/tump line, as my clothing layers are pretty warm as is, and the extra amount of surface from the horseshoe roll might get pretty steamy.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, personally I use a setup very similar to what Elleth has pictured above. I roll up my blanket and ground cloth, making sure to fold it up so that the waxed ground cloth totally covers the wool blanket, run a leather shoulder strap through the middle, and secure it all with two separate buckled leather straps. Then, I tie my snapsack onto the front of the bedroll strap, so that it slings slightly in front and to the side, under my arm. This helps balance the whole thing, and adds a ton of extra storage space. I usually sling it parallel to my quiver, with the bedroll going on first and then the quiver over that so it lays on top, but if necessary I will swap sides to help even out the weight distribution, and give my right shoulder a rest.
AAE9E166-3B6F-4ACD-90B7-5D51980A5D40.jpeg
AAE9E166-3B6F-4ACD-90B7-5D51980A5D40.jpeg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
00FED441-AAE5-4F4C-A4E0-D0AC7EA74FC5.jpeg
00FED441-AAE5-4F4C-A4E0-D0AC7EA74FC5.jpeg (91.76 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
E1F7C48F-64BE-4415-81F9-818179D2CC13.jpeg
E1F7C48F-64BE-4415-81F9-818179D2CC13.jpeg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
363C610B-DCFD-4EF9-B1D2-38E9833E1328.jpeg
363C610B-DCFD-4EF9-B1D2-38E9833E1328.jpeg (115.07 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
D24D6D37-40BD-4D19-BC0C-D7D1B4ECC0AE.jpeg
D24D6D37-40BD-4D19-BC0C-D7D1B4ECC0AE.jpeg (132.65 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Harper wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:57 am Skip to time mark 6 mins 40 secs to see some other ways to carry one:

https://youtu.be/UciN9nbCfW0

These don't address a back quiver though.
That method he calls the doughnut pack looks interesting, I don't think I've seen it done that way before

here's another possible thing that might be worth a look:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNL20sE36CY&t=377s
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rPfbq1ZRDs
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Iodo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:59 amThat method he calls the doughnut pack looks interesting, I don't think I've seen it done that way before
Likewise.

I wouldn't want to make a habit of it - but I LOVE the spirit of improvisation!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

mg2Arnor wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 pm Just out of curiosity, what do you use to secure/close up your horseshoe roll, Greg?
A short leather belt...about 14” long.
theguywitheyebrows
Wayfarer

Post by theguywitheyebrows »

Manveruon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:27 pm Yeah, personally I use a setup very similar to what Elleth has pictured above. I roll up my blanket and ground cloth, making sure to fold it up so that the waxed ground cloth totally covers the wool blanket, run a leather shoulder strap through the middle, and secure it all with two separate buckled leather straps. Then, I tie my snapsack onto the front of the bedroll strap, so that it slings slightly in front and to the side, under my arm. This helps balance the whole thing, and adds a ton of extra storage space. I usually sling it parallel to my quiver, with the bedroll going on first and then the quiver over that so it lays on top, but if necessary I will swap sides to help even out the weight distribution, and give my right shoulder a rest.
this is eerily similar to what i have planned, though my lashing will be on the opposite side of the quiver and i will also lash either shelter or blanket roll below the quiver depending on feel as i have yet to build the harness for my quiver. very very nice setup
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

I experimented with carrying mine across the back, but I've since moved to an external frame pack, as I couldn't fit as much food as I wanted in just a snapsack. Before that, I had mine rolled up across the back parallel to my quiver, which worked fairly well. The only issue I had was that the strap for the bedroll and snapsack was the same, and that made the whole thing pretty heavy and dig into the shoulder. I fixed that with a wider padded piece of leather at the shoulder.

I will also say that my bedroll is pretty heavy, coming in at ten pounds not counting my cloak, and that some of the bulkiness and weight wouldn't be an issue in the summer when the bedroll would be replaced in favor of a single blanket or something similar. The one I am carrying in this picture is designed to work from 20 degrees and up, and is reasonably successful in that task.