D&D item weights are amusing.

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

D&D item weights are amusing.

Post by SierraStrider »

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: D&D item weights are amusing.

Post by Manveruon »

HAH! :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I concur. Ten pounds of rope @ 50' long would likely be a heavy (2" thick or more!) mooring line from a shipyard...and the bulk alone of carrying such a hank would fill one's pack!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I've always felt the same with any game where you raid dungeons - Surely I can find space in my inventory for this 38th sword?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:44 am I've always felt the same with any game where you raid dungeons - Surely I can find space in my inventory for this 38th sword?
well, because rope doesn't really weigh 10Ib, you can carry a 38th sword :lol:

I have to admit, I have never given this a thought beyond "it's just the game rules", and now I am having to stop myself wasting hours of time weighing stuff to see how right it is LOL
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

It's only off by a 0--close enough for government work.

I'm not a big fan of 5e.

I think it is better than 4e.

I prefer 3.5e or AD&D (1e).
Last edited by Harper on Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I was a 2nd ed. Runequest player, encumbrance was based on bulk not weight ( Sierra's hank of rope would be one 'Thing' for example, the same as a sword, a bucket or a bag of rice)

That way you can't carry off one fourteenth share of a dragon's hoard in your knapsack....... Unless its one stone
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:01 pm That way you can't carry off one fourteenth share of a dragon's hoard in your knapsack....... Unless its one stone
loving that reference :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:01 pm I was a 2nd ed. Runequest player, encumbrance was based on bulk not weight ( Sierra's hank of rope would be one 'Thing' for example, the same as a sword, a bucket or a bag of rice)

That way you can't carry off one fourteenth share of a dragon's hoard in your knapsack....... Unless its one stone
Well played. Well played. :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Incidentally, this is a fun little article in which the author very nearly collides head-first with our hobby without even realizing it, and he himself notes the amusingly huge difference between the weight of what he actually carried on his outing (about 25 lbs) and what the D&D manual claims his character’s pack weighs (an absolutely ridiculous 59 lbs). That’s over twice the actual weight! And even if he had used more substantial materials for the torches, I very much doubt it ever would have reached nearly 60 frickin’ pounds. :lol:

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/l ... s-camping/
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:17 pm Incidentally, this is a fun little article in which the author very nearly collides head-first with our hobby without even realizing it
awesome stuff :mrgreen:
Ian M

Post by Ian M »

IIRC, Gygax knew the weights were off. He was also trying to simulate the bulk of the items as well
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Harper wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:27 am I'm not a big fan of 5e.
I think it is better than 4e.
I prefer 3.5e or AD&D (1e).
3.5 had a spot check and a listen check which was important if you have a blind or deaf character. The "perception" check is faster to process but doesn't fit all situations.
On the most part I like 4e and 5e but often add a listen check and a spot check to the skills for the players.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

The 50th Anniversary Edition is coming out next year.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Harper wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:23 pm The 50th Anniversary Edition is coming out next year.
They aren't going to do something dumb and call it "new next" or something like that are they?
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.